3 Ingredient Oat Flour Crepes

by Allie on March 11, 2010 · 79 comments

in Breakfast,Dessert,Recipes

Crepes have held a spot in my heart for many many years. I’m not even sure when I ate my first crepe or when/how my love for them started. All I remember is every single time our family went to IHOP, I would get an order of their crepes.

When I went to Paris for a weekend trip while studying abroad in Europe, I practically ate crepes at every meal. I had several banana Nutella crepes and a savory crepe filled with chicken, cheese, a fried egg, and mushrooms. For dessert one night, I had a strawberry, banana, Nutella, and ice cream crepe.

Holy CREPE!!

My traveling partner thought I was nuts for eating crepes, while I thought she was nuts for not eating crepes….in PARIS!

A pre-blogger photo of my banana Nutella crepe eaten while lounging in a beautiful Parisian garden:

For brunch yesterday, I made some crepes that brought me straight back to Paris. They were thin ‘n’ light and made with just 3 ingredients.

3 Ingredient Oat Flour Crepes

• 1 egg
  • 1/2 cup rolled oats (ground into oat flour)
  • 1/2 cup almond milk or any dairy/non-dairy milk

1. Grind oats into a flour consistency using a food processor/Magic Bullet

2. Add egg and almond milk. Blend.

3. Pour a thin layer onto a nonstick and/or greased pan.

4. Carefully flip the crepe to cook the other side.

5. Enjoy!

Makes 4-5 medium sized crepes.

***I would NOT recommend using egg whites. Egg yolks are essential for a crepe-like texture. Also, you can add stevia/agave nectar/sugar to sweeten up the batter if desired.

Of course, I came up with some combinations for my crepe fillings:

Filling #1:

Pumpkin yogurt (pumpkin puree + yogurt + cinnamon), bananas, and hazelnuts:

Filling #2:

Almond butter yogurt (almond butter + yogurt), nuked apples and cinnamon.

Topped with confectioners sugar and bananas:

Bon Appetit!!

1 Bonnie March 11, 2010 at 3:38 pm

Thanks for the tidbit about NOT using egg whites. That is definitely something I would have tried to get away with.

Never tried a crepe while in Paris. Guess I’ll have to go back!!!

2 Jessica @ How Sweet March 11, 2010 at 3:40 pm

Girl, you are amazing!! I am so making these tomorrow for breakfast!

3 Lauren @ Eater not a runner March 11, 2010 at 3:48 pm

Those look delicious! And who goes to paris and doesn’t eat crepes??

4 caronae March 11, 2010 at 3:53 pm

Absolutely beautiful. I just ate my afternoon snack but all of the sudden I’m hungry again! Surprise surprise.

5 Heather (Where's the Beach) March 11, 2010 at 3:54 pm

One word: YUM!

6 Jessica @ JJsVinBlanc March 11, 2010 at 3:57 pm

I love making crepes, glad to see someone else does too! They are impressive, yet such a cinch to make.

7 Freya @ Brit Chick Runs March 11, 2010 at 4:02 pm

I used to adore nutella crepes when I was younger…we used to go to this pancake restaurant when I went to stay with my step dad, and they did the biggest most amazing ones! Aaah this post takes me back :)

8 Jessica@Healthy Exposures March 11, 2010 at 4:12 pm

NEED to try these, stat :) I fail at flipping crepes – but practice makes perfect, right? The mistakes still taste good, and hopefully I can manage three ingredients :)

9 Whit March 11, 2010 at 4:15 pm

MAKING these! I have all the ingredients and no breakfast food! PERFECTO!

10 Susan March 11, 2010 at 4:19 pm

Wow these look so good! If I don’t have a food processor, do you think I could use oat bran in place of oat flour?

11 Jess March 11, 2010 at 4:22 pm

These look so great, I just wrote oat flour down on my after work grocery list. They WILL be making an appearace at my house this weekend!

12 Molly March 11, 2010 at 4:32 pm

HOLY YUM! girl you are such the little chef. THESE look amazing! I will be trying this soon.

13 Lauren March 11, 2010 at 4:34 pm

Go Miss Baker extraordinaire! They look divine!

14 Morgan March 11, 2010 at 4:52 pm

these look so yummy! I think I may try crepes this weekend! you inspired me :)

15 Tamizn March 11, 2010 at 4:55 pm

They look delish and the combos yum! x

16 Gabriela @ Une Vie Saine March 11, 2010 at 5:40 pm

Mmmm crepes!! They remind me of Paris, too…when I was a kid I LOVED them with Nutella!

17 Jennifer March 11, 2010 at 5:43 pm

MMM … these look delicious! I love the idea of making your own oat flour. Definitely going to try these!

18 Stephanie March 11, 2010 at 5:46 pm

)(*&$#()*&)(*#&$@!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (That was me screaming internally so that my co-workers do not think I’ve officially gone crazy). I LOVEEEEEEEEE CREPES! Especially Nutella Banane (although Framboise/Raspberry jam is a very close second)!! I studied abroad in Paris, so you’d better believe I ate my own weight, and probably the weight of about 12 skinny Parisiens as well, in crepes. They are just so delicious and CHEAP! I mean, there is a little Crepe monsieur on every corner! There was one right around the corner that my friends and I knew quite well, because we’d pretty much stop there every day before hoping onto the metro to class. yummmmm… just thinking about it makes me miss the smelly, non-air conditioned Paris metro. I am definitely going to have to try this recipe! Merci Allie!!!!

19 Sarah @ THE FOODIE DIARIES March 11, 2010 at 5:57 pm

brilliant!! i cant wait to try this recipe! i like when you’re home and get to concoct culinary deliciousness :)

20 abby March 11, 2010 at 7:22 pm

i stumbled on your blog through a friends site and i absolutely LOVE your site. it’s VERY clean, organized, and mainly i love so far that your posts are about food! delicious! :) ill def. be back here a lot more often!

21 Dee March 11, 2010 at 8:14 pm

Oh wow! These look amazing!

22 Mary March 11, 2010 at 8:29 pm

These look SO good!!! yummmm!!!!!

23 Katy March 11, 2010 at 8:34 pm

Hey Allie! Awesome spread for breakfast! I was just reading some of your older posts and ran across the one where you made a version of Rosie’s Granola Bars….are you going to post the recipe?! It would be very much appreciated! Thanks!

24 Krista March 11, 2010 at 9:10 pm

DROOL!!!! OMG, Allie….these crepes look amazing. It’s been a few years since I’ve made them….don’t know why as they’re so simple…….and now I have a hankering. I like mine stuffed with warm cream cheese and strawberries with chocolate drizzled on top. Mmmm…

25 Katie@ Two Lives, One Lifestyle March 11, 2010 at 9:51 pm

Brilliant little crepe recipe- I will most definitely try this

26 Simply Life March 11, 2010 at 10:03 pm

wow! nice job! they look great!

27 Cassie March 11, 2010 at 10:32 pm

I miss European crepes so much! While studying abroad, I had SO many too (the best one was in Versailles). Thankfully, my roomie here has a crepe maker and randomly we’ll have strawberry and nutella crepes! SOOO tasty.

28 Nancy March 11, 2010 at 10:42 pm

Your crepes look amazing and so easy to make! I will definitely try out this recipe.

29 Susan March 12, 2010 at 1:44 am

I loooooove crepes! We had nutella crepes in Paris and they were fantastic…not even all that fancy! Add some banana and life is good…

30 Anne March 12, 2010 at 2:57 am

Crepes remind me of Paris too.We went there with my boyfriend in summer 2008 and I still remember the small cafe by a street where they served THE best crepes I’ve ever had :) I wish I could go back to Paris NOW and have some crepes for breakfast.

31 Hillary [Nutrition Nut on the Run] March 12, 2010 at 3:18 am

Wow, you can’t get any simpler – love it. I wish you could have lunch with me at a delicious healthy, hippie crepe restaurant in my hometown. You would be in crepe heaven!

32 sarah (the SHU box) March 12, 2010 at 9:38 am

YUM!!!!!!! i am totally impressed with how nicely you got those to turn out!

33 janetha March 12, 2010 at 3:17 pm

epic epic epic. i am making these ASAP!

34 Jenny March 12, 2010 at 5:26 pm

I love your gorgeous pictures and eats!!!

35 jessica March 13, 2010 at 3:26 pm

These. Look. So. Gourmet.
Thank you blog world for introducing me to the yummiest thangs!!! hahaha :)

I totally have to try and make these over break! Remind me if you don’t see ‘em pop up over the course of this week while i’m home ;)

You know i’ll be throwing some cinnamon-y nuked apples and sunflower seed butter into mine! YUM.

36 jessica March 13, 2010 at 3:26 pm

Shoooot! Wait–I don’t have a food processor…….

37 Jessica Lee May 21, 2010 at 8:55 am

nice!! i like it. thanks allie!

38 stephchows May 21, 2010 at 9:24 am

mmmm so simple and easy! I can’t wait to try these!!

39 Dana July 7, 2010 at 10:03 am

Made these for breakfast! Thanks for the recipe love!!

Dana xo

40 Vivian July 7, 2010 at 7:16 pm

I’m gonna try these tomorrow morning, too! Thanks!

41 Esther July 8, 2010 at 12:46 am

Oh my, this would be tackling one of my fear foods, but they sound simple and amazing. Thanks for the recepie :)

42 sheila July 11, 2010 at 7:49 pm

WOW ALLIE!!! 3 ingredients crepes!!! THAT’S AMAZING!! Thanks for sharing your recipe! Will be making this sometime this week :)

43 Rebecca August 31, 2010 at 12:39 pm

For making the crepes.. is there a way to make it vegan? what ingredient should i use instead of an egg? i could use egg replacer but that’s not the same texture as an egg. or applesauce

44 Hollie September 15, 2010 at 9:49 pm

This looks to be the newest addition to my breakfast addiction. Holy Moly that looks amazing! Thank you for sharing.

45 Sunny October 25, 2010 at 4:47 pm

These look so amazing! I am trying to eat a little healthier and I think I’m going to add these into our diet.. I love the pictures– makes them look delicious!

46 Anita December 19, 2010 at 5:41 pm

Made these tonight after looking for a wheat free pancake recipe. Can’t believe they are so good. I added a wee bit of cassonade sugar and a pinch of salt. I live in France and this will do in a jiff if you need a wheat free crepe.

47 Jeanelle @ Glocal Girl March 13, 2012 at 6:43 am

yum!! I just came back from Paris and LOOOOOOOVED the nutella crepes… My boyfriend was so confused why I would be SO determined to get them. I can’t help it.. crepes thin, papery, sweet and can be stuffed with anything. How can you go wrong?

48 Allie March 13, 2012 at 9:45 am

Oh my goodness, I miss those crepes SO much. Sweet and savory. Mmmm! You’ll like this post

49 julie May 19, 2012 at 5:07 pm

I tried these for breakfast and they turned out yummy! Plain, they tasted like cream of wheat (not a bad thing!!)…but when I smeared them with a bit of cream cheese and some raspberry preserves, OH MY! These were YUMMY! I will try making them with coconut flour next time just to see what the taste variation is…

50 Lauren September 23, 2012 at 11:33 pm

I found your website…big smile…yes..:) :) and I found what I’m having for breakfast tomorrow

51 Allie September 24, 2012 at 11:31 pm

:) I hope you enjoyed them!

52 Leah December 4, 2012 at 6:31 pm

Yum! I just made these with shredded chicken and cabbage, almost like and egg roll! Thanks!

53 Kenda January 6, 2013 at 2:02 pm

I’ve made these a couple times now! So good! Thanks for the recipe! Me and my family love them! I found that the first one ALWAYS sticks to the pan so if you like making them thin like me, be careful with the 1st one!

54 Beth August 31, 2013 at 11:16 pm

55 Dana September 1, 2013 at 8:20 pm

I just made these for breakfast and made a strawberry syrupy thing for the middle, delicious!!

56 Donna Hobbs September 27, 2013 at 4:24 pm

Thank you for sharing. I am glad to know they do not have to have flour.

57 Taylor November 23, 2013 at 6:12 pm

Is it a 1/2 cup of oat flour, or a 1/2 cup of whole oats ground into flour?

58 Allie November 23, 2013 at 6:32 pm

Hi Taylor,

It’s 1/2 cup of rolled oats ground into flour. Sorry for the confusion. I’ll edit the recipe now!

59 Taylor November 23, 2013 at 7:31 pm

No problem! Do you happen to know how much oat flour the 1/2 cup of rolled oats would come out to?

60 Allie November 23, 2013 at 8:41 pm

Don’t know. Probably about half I would guess? This recipe is pretty forgiving, so it doesn’t have to be exact. You can always add more egg/milk if it’s too thick or add more oat flour if it’s too thin.

61 Rachel January 3, 2014 at 5:34 pm

I just found your blog and when I saw this recipe I knew i had to try it. I made the crepes for breakfast this morning and they were delicious!! Just like real crepes (though I’ve never had them in Paris). I topped mine with peanut butter sauce (pb + almond milk), microwaved apples mixed with cinnamon and nutmeg so good and I will definitely be making them again!! Thanks for the great recipe!

62 Allie January 3, 2014 at 10:10 pm

Hi Rachel! Thanks for the comment/feedback. Aren’t they so good? For something so easy and quick, too. You must try crepes in Paris sometime! My mouth is watering just thinking about them.