Judge Foodie

by Allie on June 4, 2010 · 32 comments

in Breakfast,Dessert,Dinner,Fitness,Gifts,Lunch,Seafood Fest,Snacks

I did my fair share of combining foods and flavahs today. I love dreaming up and trying out new combinations because it keeps things interesting. I’ll warn you, my combos can get mighty creative/strange but don’t get all Judge Foodie on me before you try them out for yourself!

I woke up, ate some crackers and drank an iced coffee (35% caf and 65% decaf) as a pre-workout snack. I got a major headache from the coffee (really?) and I knew a work out would make it all go away. Getting my butt there was a whole ‘nother story. After a good bit of dawdling I finally dragged myself there. 2 months ago you couldn’t pull me away from the gym and now I have to crawl.

Despite being a bit sore from a few squats and lunges yesterday (!!!) it ended up being a great workout. 2 months ago I was at a point where I never really got sore. Now I do 15 lunges and my legs are cramping. Gotta re-start from somewhere right?

I watched the Men’s Tennis French Open Semifinal game while pedaling. Watching sports always makes a workout more enjoyable!

• 20 min. elliptical
  • 7 min. treadmill sprint
  • 30 min. elliptical
  • 10 min. arm weights

This time the treadmill sprint brought my <3 rate uppity up. I averaged 159 BPM. Running for just 7 min. can make my <3 rate higher overall. It’s like a permanent boost. I think it helped that I was watching a sport instead of reading my book.

Post workout:

Now I’m hesitant to show you this next part. Don’t judge, okay?? Pinky promise?

Toasted tempeh and Greek yogurt + pumpkin butter

(it looks like a rose!)

I said don’t judge!! I know you’re judging. Stop.

Tempeh alone is just alright but once you toast it and dip it in Greek yog + pumkin butter it is FAB-to-the-U-to-the-LOUS.

Snackity: toasted hazels

Then I got a package from Ms. Nora and immediately broke into the dark chocolate bar, obvs.

Dinner started with this guy.

After almost cutting off my finger peeling this jicama, I finally got to it’s dry meat. Boo boo double boo.

I ate this all the time when I studied abroad in Mexico and it was juicy and sweet. This was dry and flavorless. Sad face.

I still had some atop cooked kale and avocado. I added about 2 T of WFs Sesame Soy Dressing to the mix.

My dad made a Seafood Veggie Salad.

• Grilled Shrimp
  • Radish
  • Tomato
  • Green Peppers
  • Corn
  • Cilantro
  • Scallions

Dressed with:

• Rice Vinegar
  • EVOO
  • Salt
  • Pepper

I had about 2 cups plus ~80% of the shrimp in the bowl :) . I’m a shrimp monster.

Dessert: More of the above chocolate bar, chocolate chips, toasted hazelnuts and frozen berries.

So what’s the verdict, Judge Foodie? :)

1 VeggieGirl June 4, 2010 at 8:32 pm

My verdict is that you’re eating what you want to eat – good! Case dismissed :-D

2 Caitlin Ariens June 4, 2010 at 8:37 pm

no judging here! as usual, your creative dishes look yum :) . what was in that smoothie? looks very berry-rific (not a word, but that’s okay)

3 Lindsay @ Summit Sandwiches June 4, 2010 at 8:44 pm

Okay, maybe we have the same taste buds, but I don’t think the tempeh + greek yogurt + pumpkin butter seems that weird at all! Lol. In fact, I think it sounds great!
I mean, let’s do the math here:
Pumpkin butter + Greek yogurt= awesome.
Tempeh + pumpkin butter=awesome.
Therefore, pumpkin butter + Greek yogurt + tempeh= awesome^2.
Get it? Awesome squared? Okay, sorry for the math nerdness. Anyway, keep it up with the interesting flavor combos!

4 Kelly June 4, 2010 at 9:33 pm

I’ve never had tempeh or pumpkin butter, but you make it look quite delicious! I hear you on draggin yourself back to the gym, I am sooo going through that phase right now – determined to make it tomorrow!!

5 Errign June 4, 2010 at 10:00 pm

Gotta say – I didn’t see anything too weird, Allie!

6 Nora@LiveLifeEatRight June 4, 2010 at 10:03 pm

AWWW!!! SO glad you got my package! I happen to think your combos sound FANTASTIC! P.S you have me addicted to all things sunflower! I actually think I would love pumpkin butter, Greek yogurt with sunflower seeds and dried cranberries…or maybe just an AllieBar ;) good stuff girl…good stuff!!

7 Hillary [Nutrition Nut on the Run] June 4, 2010 at 10:31 pm

I think it’s really wonderful you’re so adventurous with your food flavors + combinations. It’s something I am very bad at, as my food must ‘match’. I’m envious. Definitely not judgin’ ; )

8 L June 4, 2010 at 10:37 pm

I have *never* had tempeh before but my curiosity has been growing and growing! I am going to try to get on that this week! And I’ll dip it in some pumpkin and greek yogurt too.
And no worries about visiting my blogsky, blogs are supposed to be for pleasure not a chore!

9 Elaine @ Om Sweet Om June 4, 2010 at 11:38 pm

I did something weird with tempeh last night too! It was sort of an impulsive/spontaneous thing. I think I might be on to something though, cuz I thought it was delicious! Just for the records, it involved maple syrup, cinnamon, and sunbutter… ;-)

10 Kara June 4, 2010 at 11:39 pm

L, you definitely have to try tempeh. It will change your life.
And I just recently got a jar of that Crofter’s spread and it is so freaking delicious. But do you have any idea what a yumberry is or where one finds them? I’m quite curious to try some.

11 Kellie June 5, 2010 at 1:11 am

It sounds pretty good to me. Good way to get protein too!

12 Maya June 5, 2010 at 1:47 am

I’m open to any food combinations! I think I’ll be giving that tempeh yogurt mix a whirl soon, maybe with soy yogurt!

13 Little Bookworm June 5, 2010 at 4:03 am

I agree with VeggieGirl’s comment – you should eat what ever you want to eat. :)

14 Freya @ Brit Chick Runs June 5, 2010 at 5:44 am

I for one LOVE your eats – tempeh and yogurt? Brilliant!
Ah the tennis – that reminded me that Andy Roddick was all over my TV last night, giving interviews (you’re a fan right? :p) – he looks SO different without his hat!

15 Gabriela @ Une Vie Saine June 5, 2010 at 7:59 am

I’ve definitely done some weird food combos too- if you’re craving it, go for it!! I know where you’re coming from with the lack of motivation as well, since I’ve been home I’ve been working out, but all my OOMFH is gone. I need a reason to keep pushing myself! Hope you have a great weekend!

16 Sophie June 5, 2010 at 8:34 am

That tempeh + yogurt combo looks good!!!

The Crofter’s Asia flavor is mah favorite :) . Enjoy it!

17 Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin June 5, 2010 at 8:54 am

My legs have been sore from workouts for the past few weeks too. And then I realized it’s because I’ve been completely forgetting to stretch lately! Maybe that’ll help? :)

I love trying out new food combos! Did you know shitakes and orange taste good together? Who knew!?

18 Jessica @ The Process of Healing June 5, 2010 at 9:24 am

Hey.. I live by the motto, don’t knock it til you try it! OK I don’t LIVE by that but you know what I mean… I think the tempeh-yogurt-pumpkin butter sounds delicious actually!

19 Krista June 5, 2010 at 9:33 am

I would try your tempeh combo. I think that would work! Your Dad makes the best looking dishes!!! ;)

20 Dana June 5, 2010 at 9:36 am

Im not a fan of tempeh but I LOVE pumpkin butter & fage! I’ve only had tempeh baked with soy sauce, I just thought it was so gross. Do you ever make anything with seitan? I really like that stuff :)

Dana xx

21 Michelle June 5, 2010 at 9:39 am

I think that combo looked really yummy! No judging here :) I used to buy jicama from my grocery store in Alberta, but apparently the stores in New Brunswick don’t carry it. I can’t find it anywhere, which is really sad since I love it so much!

22 Wei-Wei June 5, 2010 at 9:44 am

That combo doesn’t actually sound too bad. I read that someone marinated tempeh in maple syrup, cinnamon and sunflower seed butter, and pan fried it. I guess tempeh could go both sweet and savoury? I’ve never had it before, though. Not too sure how I’d judge it ;)

23 Helen June 5, 2010 at 10:10 am

Lol you are so imaginative! I’ve never had tempeh but might have to try this combination – I can imagine that greek yogurt makes it taste so good…..maybe! I’ve never seen that vegetable (is is a vegetable??) either. It looks huge!

24 Marissa June 5, 2010 at 11:06 am

Well, I’ve never had tempeh and have no idea what it tastes like, so that combination doesn’t seem weird to me! Great workout, too; whenever I’m struggling, I just remind myself how GOOD it feels when its all over!

25 Ashley June 5, 2010 at 12:49 pm

Pumpkin butter in Greek yogo?? Yessssss…brilliant. I still have some from TJ’s from the last time I was home…I wonder how long it stays good for? hmmm I just bought my first jicama the other day for a fruity guacamole which turned out to be suuuuperb! Have a great day!

26 Anne June 5, 2010 at 1:28 pm

I’m a shrimp monster too :D

27 Barbara June 5, 2010 at 2:59 pm

I always add sweet and savory! It’s normal! That’s exactly what ‘sweet and sour’ sauce is. I made THE BEST spinach/pumpkin dip ever a while back and need to make it again! I always put apricot jam on my meat etc. It’s like a chutney! Your combo sounds amazing!

28 Living Free June 5, 2010 at 3:28 pm

No sure why you thought you dippin’ was so funky ‘cuz I do that ALL THE TIME! SO GOOD! Another yummy combo is banana chocolate chip muffins (preferably frozen so they can hold up a bit better) dipped in greek yog w/ pumpkin. Try it!
My verdict: Delicious!

29 Danica June 5, 2010 at 3:35 pm

yogurt goes with everything! so tempeh sounds totally legit!
ps. love your blog =)

30 Mary @ Bites and Bliss June 5, 2010 at 5:27 pm

I’m not judging! I eat meat/eggs with jam all the time..and I dip almost everything in maple syrup haha! Sweet & savory- it’s good!!

31 Lauren June 6, 2010 at 10:49 pm

I know I say it all the time, but your dad’s food always looks so good! I just showed Joe and he said “mmmm” (like in a good way) haha. I’ve been marinating cucumbers in TJ’s rice vinegar which is already sweetened with a little sugar and it is just so tasty and refreshing. I can just imagine that salad of yours being the same way. Yum!