Homemade Tart Frozen Yogurt

by Allie on June 24, 2010 · 55 comments

in Dessert,Fun Stuff,Product Reviews,Recipes

…and really, it is just yogurt.

IMG_2378.JPG

A long time ago (circa March), CSN Stores sent me a Cuisinart Frozen Yogurt-Ice Cream & Sorbet Maker to review (my choice of product). Having seen countless recipes for ice-cream makers online and in recipe books, I knew it would be a useful and fun appliance to own.

I had never seen nor used an ice cream maker before so I didn’t know what to expect. All I knew was anything that could make ice cream in 20 min. was bound to be pretty cool! No pun intended…ha. ha. ha.

IMG_1519.JPG

NuNaturals also sent me a lifetime supply box of Nustevia products. I am a stevia supporter (I even did a presentation on it in my Nutrition class) and use it to sweeten my coffee and smoothies. I was most looking forward to the Baking Blend and ‘non-bitter’ taste that they claim is unique to the NuNaturals brand.

IMG_1516.JPG

[Disclaimer: Both of these products were sent to me free of charge, however my opinions are entirely my own.]

***

I decided to put both products to good use by making a Homemade Tart Frozen Yogurt.

(Remember when I ate loads of Greek yogurt? Well, it was because I made frozen yogurt but didn’t get a chance to document the process. I’ve already made red bean frozen yogurt and green tea frozen yogurt with both Greek yogurt and regular yogurt.)

Yesterday, I decided to make plain or what froyo shops call ‘original.’

I mixed together 2 cups TJ’s European Style (for the tart flavor), and 2 cups plain lowfat yogurt. I also added about 15 drops of NuNaturals Pure Stevia and 1 tsp xanthan gum. The first two times I made it without xanthan gum, so it is certainly optional.

IMG_2364.JPG

After freezing the bucket overnight, I inserted the arm (plastic white thing), poured in the yogurt, and turned on the machine.

IMG_1524.JPG

Whirling away!

IMG_1530.JPG

After about 20 minutes of stirring (and 20 minutes of me sticking a spoon inside for bites of frozen yogurt), I got magically smooth and fluffy frozen yogurt reminiscent of the tart yogurt you’d find at a shop.

IMG_2366.JPG

This is not the whole batch!! I ate about 1/3 of it in the process of stirring :) .

IMG_2368.JPG

Can you believe this is just pure yogurt? No additives and no artificial flavors. Talk about a protein-filled treat also!

IMG_2370.JPG

IMG_2382.JPG

It tasted just like this!

IMG_2186.JPG

Thoughts, Comments, and other Tidbits:

The NuNaturals Stevia did not taste bitter to me. Keep in mind that I don’t think other brands of stevia taste bitter either–I suppose I am quite used to the taste. I’ve been using both the NuNaturals liquid and powder forms the last couple of weeks and have thoroughly enjoyed them both.

When I finish the shipment sent to me, I would definitely consider purchasing the NuNaturals brand. It would most likely come down to the price compared to other brands. However, I must say the NuNaturals Pure Stevia is much stronger than other brands I’ve tried (i.e. one small scoop is about twice as sweet as one scoop of the other brands I’ve tried). Be sure to keep that in mind when comparing prices.

***

As for the Cuisinart Frozen Yogurt-Ice Cream & Sorbet Maker. Overall it is pretty fabulous, as you’ve seen. It really does work! I love that I can turn pure yogurt into frozen yogurt in 20 minutes. I haven’t tried it with ice cream recipes, but I’m sure those would be fabulous as well.

Now, a few of the not-so-great aspects:

1. Some of the mixture freezes against the side of the tub and you have to wait about 20 min. before it melts so you can clean up. It’s not a large amount–I’d say about 1/2 a cup or so.

2. You have to freeze the tub for at least 6 hours (preferably 24 hours) before you can make anything. I’m quite impatient and if I want to make ice cream, I want to make it immediately. In order to avoid this problem, I keep the tub in the freezer at all times. After I make a batch, I wash the tub and put it straight back into the freezer. That way I can make ice cream/froyo whenever the heck I want.

***

Get ready for more ice cream and frozen yogurt recipes!!

1 Bec June 24, 2010 at 2:29 pm

My dad keeps his fro yo maker bucket in the freezer all the time too, that way you can have home made fro yo whenever you want!

2 Jen June 24, 2010 at 2:30 pm

That machine looks dang awesome!!! I think I’ll have to look for it and purchase one for myself :) I love frozen yogurt, but would love it more without who knows what they add!!!

Jen

3 Living Free June 24, 2010 at 2:46 pm

Wow, so jealous right now. I wish I had a frozen yogurt maker! DO you think I could use a regular ice cream maker? Maybs I should try it…. :) Thanks for the inspiration!

4 Freya @ Brit Chick Runs June 24, 2010 at 3:22 pm

I feel the same as everyone else – very very jealous!!

5 Heather (Where's the Beach) June 24, 2010 at 3:28 pm

I LOVE the NuNaturals Stevia. The liquid vanilla is simply awesome. That frozen yogurt sounds so incredibly good right about now. YUM. Very jealous ;-)

6 Stacey@http://stacey-healthylife.blogspot.com/ June 24, 2010 at 3:29 pm

What a great idea, I need an ice cream maker asap.

7 Lindsay (Summit Sandwiches) June 24, 2010 at 3:29 pm

Wow. What a cool machine. It might end up on the birthday list! I love the idea of turning Greek yogurt into fro yo so easily. Perfect healthy summer treat!

8 Meg June 24, 2010 at 3:35 pm

Hooooly yum, I have a credit for CSN as well and I think I might totally buy this too :) Hope you don’t mind me being a copy cat ;)

9 Kaz June 24, 2010 at 3:51 pm

I just got an ice cream maker of my own, too. I love it! And yes, it is in the freezer right now, waiting patiently for my next whim. :D

Your homemade froyo looks amazing! Is it as creamy as it looks?

10 Simply Life June 24, 2010 at 3:59 pm

wow! nice work! that looks great!

11 Mary @ Bites and Bliss June 24, 2010 at 4:10 pm

This is awesome!! I’m actually planning on buying on of those ice cream makers but havent since all the recipes out there are actually more fattening then I want. This is perfect, though!

12 Lisa June 24, 2010 at 4:30 pm

Nice job on the homemade froyo! Did you like the red bean flavor or the green tea flavor more?

13 Jen June 24, 2010 at 5:02 pm

YUM!! I think I would love the green tea flavor! I have an ice cream maker, but I have never used it! Can you believe it?! It was a wedding gift, and I always forget to freeze the bucket. Anyways, sometimes I open a greek yogurt and stir it up, then put it in the freezer for an hour and viola – tart frozen yogurt. :) I’m sure coming out of an ice cream machine it is better though!

14 Aimee June 24, 2010 at 6:24 pm

Aw good job looks yummy. I have this ice cream maker too. I’ve only tried it once and I used coconut milk so it didn’t turn out as creamy as I would have preferred…will have to try again. I’m jealous that you got all of that free stuff how awesome.
Aimee

15 Jae June 24, 2010 at 6:59 pm

Yummy and lucky! :)

16 Caroline June 24, 2010 at 7:01 pm

I have the same ice cream maker–guess I need to dig through the basement to find it:)

17 Elaine @ Om Sweet Om June 24, 2010 at 7:13 pm

Homemade fro-yo? YES PUHLEASE!

18 Bridget June 24, 2010 at 8:46 pm

Mmm yummy :) I love frozen yogurt, and this looks like such a simple recipe to follow!

19 Lauren June 24, 2010 at 8:46 pm

How cool!! I’ve always secretly wanted an ice cream maker! I don’t know how much I would use it because I would probably get too lazy and just go right for the carton, but I think it’s such a fun idea! :)

20 Susan June 24, 2010 at 9:02 pm

My ice cream maker doesn’t really fit in our freezer…I could probably squeeze it in if I move things around, but I miss making homemade ice cream! Simple ingredients, super tasty stuff!! Nice work on the free ice cream maker. :)

21 Salah@myhealthiestlifestyle June 24, 2010 at 9:33 pm

that looks amazing!!! I could def use one of those at my apartment!!!

22 Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin June 24, 2010 at 10:06 pm

I think I have an ice cream/fro yo machine like this lying around in my basement somewhere! My dad bought it a few summers ago and used it once and I totally forgot about it. :P I will be so excited if we still have it!

23 Krista June 25, 2010 at 9:59 am

I think I need one of those ice cream makers!!!

24 Wei-Wei June 25, 2010 at 11:22 am

Mmmmm, this looks great! I wonder if you could make it using the sorbet approach? (Freeze in shallow flat pan, scrape every 30 minutes) That would be really cool :D

Wei-Wei

25 Marissa June 25, 2010 at 1:47 pm

I need to get me one of those things!! Ice cream is my absolutely favorite treat ever… I could make frozen yogurt whatever flavors I wanted!! Peanut butter, peach, pumpkin… that would be so amazing! I know what I’m asking for for my birthday now, hahah.

26 Lauren July 7, 2010 at 2:54 pm

Allie I can’t wait to make frozen yogurt! I got the exact same ice cream maker several years ago and have only made super fattening but totally delicious ice cream in it. I did the same thing and always kept it in the freezer, but it’s still at my parents! Must get that soon! Great idea-thanks for sharing!

27 cindy April 12, 2011 at 1:19 pm

I cant wait to try it! A few questions though: If i want to use packets of stevia, how many would i use for the recipe? Also, the ‘european’ style yogurt, is it the same as greek yogurt?? thanks!

28 Allie April 12, 2011 at 1:55 pm

I would just go by how it tastes. Just a wild guess, I’d say about 1 packet for every 1-2 cups of yogurt. Euro yogurt is like regular yogurt by tangy. It’s not as thick as Greek yogurt because it isn’t strained. You can use all Greek yogurt for this too.

29 Emily @ Glitz Glam Granola May 31, 2011 at 5:21 pm

Omigosh this looks amazing!! I think I need to buy an ice cream maker just for this purpose!!

30 sonya July 13, 2011 at 10:43 am

Do you personally get a strange aftertaste with Stevia? A while back I bought a little bottle of it and tested it. It left such a taste that I left it in the cupboard and then later just tossed it away. If a lot of people use Stevia, then they must not get that “taste”.

31 Allie July 13, 2011 at 4:05 pm

No, not really. I’ve been consuming it for awhile so I’m used to it now. Also, I must say NuNaturals is not as bitter as some other brands.

32 Felicia January 31, 2012 at 4:06 pm

I made this frozen yogurt yesterday and it was SO good! I didn’t have Stevia so I had to put in 3/4 c. of organic raw cane sugar. I’m going to buy some Stevia today though. Truly sated my craving for Red Mango! Thank you for posting these easy instructions!

33 Girl July 10, 2012 at 5:37 pm

Can u use just a regular blender

34 Allie July 10, 2012 at 5:58 pm

Using a blender (and blending the yogurt with ice) won’t produce the same results. It’ll probably be more like a smoothie. The ice cream maker freezes the yogurt, while churning it to produce the frozen yogurt consistency without adding ice. Does that make sense? I’m sure blending yogurt with ice and fruit would still be delicious!

35 Hannah Nelson July 21, 2012 at 9:14 pm

This looks delicious and so easy! I have the same ice cream maker and I was just trying to learn how to make “original tart yogurt!!!”. I was wondering if you have the green tea frozen Greek yogurt recipe anywhere? I would love to trry that!!!

36 Allie July 22, 2012 at 12:25 am

I would try adding green tea powder (like an instant mix) or perhaps brewing a super strong shot of green tea and adding it in.