Not So Smooth-ie

by Allie on August 5, 2010 · 37 comments

in Breakfast,Dinner,Peter's Kitchen,Shopping,Snacks

I’ve been quite the moody monster today. It’s just been one of those days. The kind of day where you are constantly on the brink of tearing up, releasing huge sighs and just feeling frustrated/lost/sad. I think it’s a combination of the gloomy weather, lack of sleep and feeling so confused about life.

It really didn’t help when I dumped 1/2 a large tub of yogurt on the counter and then proceeded to spill my smoothie all over the kitchen counter less than a minute after. Smooth. Real smooth…and not in a smoothie kinda way.

I just gotta put on a big fat SMILE! (I randomly found this splash of water on the kitchen counter the other day. Cool, huh?)

IMG_4500.JPG

[Note: I scooped the yogurt back into the tub and put it in the fridge. It takes a lot for me to throw away food. I have faith in the cleanliness of our kitchen counter!]

Aside from my clumsiness and moodiness, it was actually a pretty good day overall. I walked a whole bunch of errands and had a fabulous heart-pumping workout.

***

Picture 6.png

I woke up at the crack of dawn to watch Caitlin on the TODAY Show (No, I do not live on the West Coast–8:30AM is early for me!). I kept announcing to my family, “my blogger friend is gonna be on TV!!” Okay, so maybe I’ve only met Caitlin once and she most likely wouldn’t recognize me on the street but I read her blog every day so in my mind, we’re friends :) . Plus, she follows me on Twitter. That counts for something, right? I’m going to say that to people when she becomes famous…oh wait, SHE IS FAMOUS!

Picture 7.png

Needless to say I was so so proud of her!

***

Afterwards, I took advantage of my early wake-up call to walk some errands. I walked a 2-mile loop that took me to:

• the library (returned books)
  • Barnes and Noble (found Operation Beautiful!)
  • Best Buy (bought a UV filter for my camera lens)
  • Harris Teeter (got nothing)
  • the bank (deposted $$)
  • Trader Joe’s (got lots!)

Thank goodness I didn’t delay my errands because it started storming a few hours later.

IMG_4960.JPG

***

Over the past couple of days, I’ve been a bit lazy with documenting my random nibbles. A lot of Puffins+almond milk, cottage cheese, dates, almond butter, bananas, and wine glasses of kefir. Just the LLE usual!

Aside from the above, I had a melon that my dad picked up for me (I think it is a Korean Melon. Clearly, I am not Korean or I would know.).

IMG_4909_1.JPG

IMG_4913_1.JPG

It was a very mild tasting melon, like cantaloupe but not quite as sweet.

IMG_4915.JPG

I scooped out the seeds and stuffed it with whipped cottage cheese, frozen pomegranate seeds, sunflower seeds, crushed Puffins, and chia seeds.

IMG_4920_1.jpg

IMG_4924_1.jpg

I put the other half in my Kale Blueberry Melon Yogurt Smoothie. <–all the ingredients!

IMG_4953.JPG

IMG_4954.JPG

Thankfully, I didn’t spill my smoothie a 2nd time or it would have tumbled down 9 floors!

***

A Peter’s Kitchen dish: Cod with Mushrooms and Scallions

IMG_4928.JPG

IMG_4936.JPG

Microwaved egg whites + a ketchup SMILE (this one I drew).

IMG_4949.JPG

I currently have this beauty in the oven for dinner. This is bound to perk me up! Fingers crossed I don’t drop it on the ground while taking it out of the oven. Although, we all know I’d probably just scoop it up and eat it!

Picture 2.png

I’ll tell you all about my creation tomorrow along with my TJ’s purchases and my sweaty Betty workout.

***

Tell me: Have you ever been on TV? What’s your worst clumsy kitchen catastrophe?

1 Mary @ Bites and Bliss August 5, 2010 at 8:29 pm

I love when you randomly find food smiles. It’s impossible not to smile back. :)

2 Katie @ Healthy Heddleston August 5, 2010 at 9:00 pm

Here’s my few minutes of fame: http://www.wkyc.com/news/news_article.aspx?storyid=136001 (there is a video on the right!!) Ha, let me know if you actually watch it :P

3 Lauren August 5, 2010 at 9:01 pm

I hate those days. And you know, it’s so true when they say “When it Rains it Pours!” Apparently, in your case today, this was right on! Awww, hun, I hope your night only gets better and better.

Take care love.

4 Run Sarah August 5, 2010 at 9:06 pm

Days like that are so frustrating – I am the clumsiest person ever and have dropped tons of jars, entire plates of food, dishes, etc. The Korean melon looks tasty – especially with the added cottage cheese, yum!

5 Kori August 5, 2010 at 9:15 pm

Girl, I am sssoo sorry that your day started off on the wrong foot, but I’m really glad you were able to turn it around. :) I LOVE being in the kitchen, but I’ve had my fair share of clumsy moments. When my sister and I tried making Thanksgiving by ourselves for only the 2nd time a few years ago, we managed to drop the ENTIRE turkey onto the floor. However, I just quickly reacted, picked that sucker up, brushed him/her off, and we proceeded on with the rub. It turned out wonderfully, nobody got sick, and we’ve made Thanksgiving every year since. haha :) Hope you have a FANTASTIC Friday!!

6 Lawrence August 5, 2010 at 9:31 pm

Pooped! I’ve been useless all day after our killer sesh…currently laying in bed in the fetal position! Sorry that you had a challenging day. I very much left the same way today, and the interview snaffu didn’t exactly make it better. Hope some good ats have turned our day around!

7 Erin August 5, 2010 at 9:34 pm

I’ve been having a similar day — just feeling kind of blue. :/ The weather definitely doesn’t help! Love the melon idea — yum! :D

8 Maya August 5, 2010 at 9:37 pm

I understand the feeling lost. Luckily I have 4 years of college before I face the “what am I going to do with the rest of my life questions.”

Usually I’m up at 7 am, so imagine my surprise when I woke up this morning at 9 am! I even set my alarm to see Caitlin, but I missed it/I turned it off without realizing it. At least I could see it online!

I’m totally clumsy. Whenever I hike/run on trails, I come back a mess!

9 BroccoliHut August 5, 2010 at 9:47 pm

Biggest kitchen tragedy? Dropping my favorite smoothie cup into a million pieces. I still tear up when I think about it…

10 Jenn @ So Very Fit August 5, 2010 at 9:48 pm

I’ve been on TV once… kind of. It was ages and ages ago, I was still in highschool. I was just in the audience of this talk show and there was a part where you could see me for maybe 10 seconds. I was psyched at the time! haha :)

11 Jenna August 5, 2010 at 9:52 pm

Ahh, I get those days every once in a while, you just gotta give yourself 1,000 more reasons to smile. :) && as far as TV goes, I went to the MTV awards once, and when I got on stage, some random guy with a wierd haircut & sunglasses came up to me and stole my mic from me…

pahaha, NOT! :)

12 Sarah @ The Smart Kitchen August 5, 2010 at 9:54 pm

Totally would have done the same thing with the yogurt.

No food left behind.—> my motto

13 Wei-Wei August 5, 2010 at 10:27 pm

I burnt caramel the other day. It was really NOT fun. I’ve seen that melon/cottage cheese thing, except it was with cantaloupe (cottage cheese and raisins in the middle!).

And yes, actually. I have been on TV! A magician visited our school and filmed our class while he taught us to do magic tricks. I remember very clearly the time it broadcasted – I didn’t see it. I was upstairs on the third floor, and suddenly my sister (on the first floor) yelled at me, “You’re on TV! Come downstairs!” So of course I sprinted downstairs and just happened to miss the entire thing. I saw a glimpse of a last shot of the entire class. It was the first time I said “S**t!” in front of my dad. He was not pleased.

Wei-Wei

14 ali August 5, 2010 at 10:42 pm

It is a Korean melon but here in Korea, people actually eat the seeds and slimy part inside! I don’t enjoy it… the sliminess is too much.

15 Lorin August 5, 2010 at 10:47 pm

It was still on at 8:30 on the west coast.

16 Megan August 5, 2010 at 10:48 pm

The right side of the top melon looks like another smiley face (but sideways)! :)

17 Liz @ Tip Top Shape August 5, 2010 at 10:55 pm

We all have days like this sometimes. Hopefully you can get out of your funk!

18 Allie August 5, 2010 at 10:56 pm

Ali–
Really?? I totally would have eaten the seeds. We still have one left, so I’ll try the slimy with that one.

Megan–
It does!! Actually the boat/side-view of the melon looks like a smiley too.

19 Ellen August 5, 2010 at 11:51 pm

Your melon-boat treat reminds me of a scene from “I Love You, Man” where the two main guys are hanging out in Seth Rogen’s garage eating froyo out of halved pineapples. So cute.

I think I was on TV once, but it was as part of a large group (my high school marching band…yup I’m a recovering nerd) so you probably couldn’t see me at all!

My worst kitchen accidents involve cupcakes that REALLY hadn’t baked all the way through, so that when I took them out of the muffin tin and put them on a plate, they kind of gushed everywhere. I have improved a lot since those days, I hope! Second worst: putting dish soap (like Dawn) in the dishwashing machine. Bubbles to your knees!!

Hope your dinner was awesome! Can’t wait to read about it. Also, as a last-day-of-my-internship gift, one of my fellow interns got me dark chocolate covered blueberries from Trader Joe’s! So yum. Wish we had them back in Texas.

20 Jane @ Sweet Basil Kitchen August 5, 2010 at 11:51 pm

worst kitchen disaster…had a group of friends over for dinner…the gals were helping me with last minute stuff, one of them opened a drawer to get something and a mouse jumped out at her. :(

21 Hillary [Nutrition Nut on the Run] August 6, 2010 at 12:37 am

I have been on TV — I’ve been in 3 TV commercials…

I want to be in Caitlin’s shoes someday.

22 Stacey @ Tipping the (Kitchen!) Scales August 6, 2010 at 1:55 am

Love the random water smile on your counter top!!

Hope you perk up soon but we all have down days occasionally.

;)

23 Kaz August 6, 2010 at 1:59 am

I’m no stranger to spills and messes. I’m perpetually clumsy. :D

I was on TV once, during an airing of a since-cancelled show. I was part of the “live viewing audience”. It was kinda cool. =)

Hope you feel better soon!

24 Freya @ Brit Chick Runs August 6, 2010 at 3:01 am

Oh I had one of those days yesterday too :( Most annoying things ever :(
Can you taste the kale in your smoothies, or is it like spinach?
I’ve never been on TV :( Newspaper, but no TV! It sucks :(

25 Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin August 6, 2010 at 9:05 am

Bummer about your yogurt and smoothie! I would have scooped the yogurt back up too. :P

I missed seeing Caitlin on tv yesterday and my computer is too slow and won’t load the video of her online. Wahhh. :(

I was actually on tv when I was younger in a few episodes of Zaboomafoo. :P It’s kind of embarrassing.

26 April @ Crazy Fabulous Life August 6, 2010 at 9:15 am

That smiley face on the counter is cute! :)

27 Lyndsey August 6, 2010 at 9:18 am

When I was in high school I was totally obsessed with O-Town. I’ve seen them more times than I can count, but one day we took the train into NYC at 5 AM! Waited in blistering cold weather to be first in line to get in to a press conference/small concert at Hard Rock Cafe (which didn’t go on until 7 pm). Not only were they filming Jersey Girl in there during the day while we waited (so we met Ben Aflack), but we were interviewed on FOX during the 5 o clock news. And met O-Town later due to passes given to us by the news crew.

Totally Amazing at the time, completely embarrassing now. hahahha

28 Holly @ couchpotatoathlete August 6, 2010 at 9:45 am

I spill stuff all the time — in the kitchen, in restaurants, at friends’ houses, in the grocery store, you name it.

I’ve never been on tv — I tend to freeze when I get put on the spot, and I’m sure that would happen if for some reason I was on tv!

I love the ketchup smiley :)

29 Jasmine @ Eat Move Write August 6, 2010 at 10:36 am

I’ve been on tv a couple times to sing when I was younger. Christmas specials and the like.

LOL about the West Coast thing. I AM West Coast and I DVR’d the show thinking she’d be on at 5:30 my time. Nope. They don’t air it that early here. They just tape it and we see a not-live version, so I watched it at 8:30, too.

30 Jin August 6, 2010 at 10:39 am

I can’t recall whether i’ve commented before. But I’m sorry about your tough day! I certainly have those and for me, yoga seems to help a lot.
I almost freaked out when I read that you scooped out the seeds of the Korean melon! We eat the seeds and flesh together. In fact, as a child I only ate the seed part because it was the sweetest part of the fruit!

31 Jin August 6, 2010 at 10:40 am

Oh and peel the melon before you eat!

32 Samantha @ Health, Happiness & Skinny Jeans August 6, 2010 at 10:56 am

I’ve seen myself on tv but never on purpose…I just happened to be where the cameras were at that time. I think being interviewed would be so exciting but so nerve wracking too! Caitlin did a great job!!!

33 Molly August 6, 2010 at 11:32 am

I think I’ve said this before, but we have such similar tastes! I love eggplant, cottage cheese, fish, cereal, etc, haha.

Anyways this is weird, but sometimes when I’m feeling down it helps to read really sad books or watch sad movies. Sometimes I just need a good cry and afterwards I feel better.

34 Ellen August 6, 2010 at 12:29 pm

Saw your lactaid issues on twitter. That happens to me too! Except I never throw up, just get the other uncomfortable digestive effects. I am way gross, sorry.

35 Rachel (tea and chocolate) August 6, 2010 at 1:26 pm

Sorry about the spills. Kitchen accidents are not a fun way to start the morning. I would have scooped up the yogurt too. No use in wasting it!

I was on tv once in fifth grade when a huge tree that was 300 years old was being cut down in our playground. Kinda lame, I know. As I recall, they interviewed me, and I said some embarrassing things they later cut out. Oops.

36 Allie August 6, 2010 at 10:16 pm

Freya–
I can’t really taste the kale. Some people think it tastes gross so consider yourself warned :) I only use about 1 cup steamed. I think steaming it helps the taste. I’m sure it would be seamless in your Vincent!!

37 Valerie C. August 7, 2010 at 2:53 pm

your question about the biggest mess in the kitchen totally reminded me of when in the movies people start throwing food/messy items at each other in the kitchen or burst out in food fights…i always wonder…HOW CAN THAT BE FUN?!!! Ohhhh the waste of food ;( and then someone totally has to clean it up -_-; I guess I’m debbie downer.