Banana Bread Oat Bites

by Allie on September 8, 2010 · 65 comments

in Breakfast,Dessert,Oven Lovin' (Baking),Recipes,Snacks

Even with a packed up kitchen and severely limited baking supplies, I still managed to find a way to bake.

We’ve got no flour.

No spatulas.

No baking powder.

No aluminum foil.

No cookie sheets.

(Apparently dinner plates can be used as cookie sheets…you learn something new everyday)

When there is a will, there is a way.

When you need to use up 19 ripe bananas, there is most definitely a way.

These cookie bites are vegan, no sugar added, and gluten free*.

*using gluten-free oats

Nothing funky. Just real food. You’ll feel wholesome gobbling them down.

Oh and they’re made with just 3 ingredients. Well, 5 if you count the vanilla and oil…7 if you count the mix-ins.

The original recipe calls them cookies–Banana Date Oat Cookies. I call them bites–Banana Bread Oat Bites.

In my opinion, they’re more breakfasty, healthy, and chewy than cookies. Plus, I have a habit of using the phrase ‘banana bread’ in recipe names. What can I say…the phrase warms my heart.

Let’s get this show on the road….

Actually before we begin, note that I made these last night and because my parents wolfed them all down (okay, I helped), I didn’t have any left for a daylight photo shoot. Because of this, I made half a batch this morning (and wolfed them down myself). Thus, the amounts you see in these photos are not the same as the amounts called for in the recipe.

You’ll need mashed bananas and chopped dates. I added a splash of hot water to slightly rehydrate the dates before mixing them in with the bananas. You can probably use any dried fruit but be sure to chop them up so they get a little sticky.

The first time around I used mashed fresh bananas. The second time I used mashed defrosted frozen bananas. Both ways produced the same delicious result.

Mix the dates and banana together. Add vanilla extract and canola oil. I cut back on the oil a bit already (from the original recipe), but you could cut back even more….

Whatever floats your Banana Boat.

Next combine oats and optional add-ins. I added cinnamon and chia seeds.

Combine wet and dry ingredients and mix well.

The banana holds everything together, which is why you don’t need eggs.

Now, let the batter sit for 15 minutes. Try not to take multiple bites of the batter as it pretty much resembles a cross between oatmeal and granola….and tastes amazing.

Don’t say I didn’t warn you.

This allows the oats to soften and meld together.

IMG_7528.JPG IMG_7580.JPG

Banana Bread Oat Bites

Adapted from

• 3 ripe bananas
  • 1 cup chopped dates (you can sub ANY dried fruit)
  • 2 cups rolled oats
  • 2 TBSP canola oil (add up to 1/3 cup if you want a tastier ‘cookie’)
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract

Optional add-ins:

• 1 TBSP Chia Seeds (or flax, sunflower, sesame…)
  • 1 tsp Cinnamon

Preheat oven to 350* F. In a small bowl, combine chopped dates and a splash of hot water and let sit for a few minutes (to slightly rehydrate). In another small bowl, mash bananas with a fork. Mix in chopped dates, vanilla extract and canola oil. In a large bowl combine dry ingredients (oats and optional mix-ins). Add banana mixture to the dry ingredients and mix well. Let batter sit for 15 minutes. Form batter into cookie-shaped patties and place on a greased cookie sheet. Bake for 20 minutes. Makes ~14.

A) you can sub in any dried fruit. B) I cut back on the oil a bit already (from the original recipe), but you could cut back even more. C) When forming the batter into patties, make sure to pack them tightly. D) Don’t worry if you take too many bites of the raw batter. That’s the beauty of vegan baking.

1 Holly @ couchpotatoathlete September 8, 2010 at 3:38 pm

Allie these look great — and I love how they are so simple!

I love how chopped dates look like pieces of bacon, do you agree? (and thats not a slam on your photography skills, they just have the same color!) :)

2 Stacey@ September 8, 2010 at 3:43 pm

Those bites look so good and super easy.

3 Laura @ Blogging Over Thyme September 8, 2010 at 3:54 pm

These look awesome! They remind me of one of my favorite cookbook’s recipe for Granola Grabbers–cute name, but unfortunately taken already. :)

4 Jenny R. September 8, 2010 at 3:58 pm

allie these look great! i made similar cookies a little while ago but I mixed a bus load of sunflower seed butter in. I made one batch where I mixed ss butter, a banana, and a few soaked dates in a the food processor so that they formed a paste and then used that to hold the oats together. Then in the second batch I just mashed banana and ss butter straight up in a bowl and added the oats. Both were pretty good. Yours look gourmet though…mine looked like a trainwreck lol

5 Tatianna September 8, 2010 at 4:01 pm

Wow! These look so yummy :) I might actually be able to eat them too because the bananas are cooked (I can’t have raw ones). Those look like the perfect ‘wholesome’ food cookie to me :)

<3 Tat

6 Wendy @ Seriously Sassy September 8, 2010 at 4:05 pm

Oooh, those look chewy-rific!!!!

7 Marlow September 8, 2010 at 4:17 pm

Wow! Those look super tasty!! Good way to use up some banana too :) I will tell you, just in case you’ve never heard this, because before I went gluten free I certainly hadn’t! Rolled oats are not considered gluten free unless specified on the package. For example, I have to buy Bob’s Red Mill Gluten Free Rolled Oats. While oats are inherently gluten free, they are the most contaminated food on the market. Meaning, that they are grown beside wheat and processed on the same machinery. Since I DEFINITELY see a future business for you and your bars I just thought I’d throw that info your way! :)

8 jayme September 8, 2010 at 4:17 pm

those look scrumptious!
i think i’ll use up some bananas and make these bad boys tonight.
with chocolate chips instead of fruit though, most likely.
.. i have a problem.

thanks allie! :)

9 Jean@RoastedRootsandPumpkinSpice September 8, 2010 at 4:22 pm

Sounds simple, easy, and nutritious! Looks great.

10 Laura @ Blogging Over Thyme September 8, 2010 at 4:23 pm

I have always wondered the difference between gluten-free and regular oats! Thanks for this input :)

11 kristy @ ksayerphotography September 8, 2010 at 4:43 pm

These look delicious! and so simple :)

12 Jenna September 8, 2010 at 4:55 pm

Simple and sweet. I must try them!

13 Mary @ Bites and Bliss September 8, 2010 at 5:15 pm

Mmm I bet these are awesome!! No doubt the ripe bananas get even sweeter when baked in the oven. Yum!

14 Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin September 8, 2010 at 5:21 pm

Yesss I am so making these once I have some ripe bananas on hand! They may not make it past the batter stage though. ;)

15 jamie @ jamelafamela September 8, 2010 at 5:30 pm

mmm i bet some pumpkin butter would be good in those :)

16 Naomi(onefitfoodie) September 8, 2010 at 5:44 pm

YUM so healthy, easy and delicious! I am all over it!

17 Pete September 8, 2010 at 6:18 pm

Awesome! Your timing couldn’t be better, I was just wondering what to do with all these bananas I got from the Harris Teeter produce discount rack. Yeah, could NOT help myself and went a little over board. =P

18 Katie @ Healthy Heddleston September 8, 2010 at 6:22 pm

Allie, just a quick comment.. to truly make them gluten free the rolled oats have to be gluten free (Bob’s Red Mill makes a brand) and the vanilla extract has to be gluten free.

Many people with Celiac cannot handle oats because they are easily cross-contaminated… thus looking for the proper brand. However, many people with Celiac CAN handle oats–all just depends on the person.

Just wanted to warn you in case anyone leaves a weird comment / email. :)

19 Lauren September 8, 2010 at 6:29 pm

Your baking skills amaze me! Literally, I am speechless! :)

20 Lauren September 8, 2010 at 6:33 pm

Allie-you are seriously an amazing baker! I can’t wait to try making these!

21 Matt September 8, 2010 at 6:34 pm

Totally gonna make those :)

22 Matt September 8, 2010 at 6:35 pm

And I still want my Alliebar…

23 Allie September 8, 2010 at 6:42 pm

Marlow and Katie–

I know, I’m assuming someone with celiac disease would use gluten-free oats. I guess I should make that clear in the post. Thanks for the tidbit though. I appreciate it!

24 Chelsea @ Strawberry Sweat September 8, 2010 at 6:58 pm

Hi Ali! I just found your blog after hearing so many bloggers rave about your AllieBars! Thanks for sharing this great recipe. I’ll have to make these soon–they will be great as grab and go breakfasts for me before class!

25 Michelle September 8, 2010 at 7:40 pm

I’m thinking that this will be made tonight and going with me as a snack for the days that I’m at school for 12 hours…Yes, yes indeed. They look so good! :)

26 Ellen September 8, 2010 at 7:44 pm

Man oh man. I really want to make these tonight!! Too bad I have no bananas. Or oats. Or dried fruit.

I need to re-evaluate my life.

Also, I never mind taking too many bites of batter, vegan or not…I have no fear of food-borne illness, unfortunately.

27 Wei-Wei September 8, 2010 at 8:19 pm

Oh my god. I think this could be made for breakfast. This looks amazing. BOOKMARKED! :D

28 Kris | September 8, 2010 at 9:20 pm

YUMMMM!!!! These look fab! I make simple stuff like this all the freaking time and then eat them all before they even hit the oven :|

I might make these tonight!

29 Lisa @ Early Morning Run September 8, 2010 at 9:20 pm

I definitely have to try this asap!!

30 Sophie September 8, 2010 at 9:21 pm

I am going to have to make these PRONTO!!

31 BroccoliHut September 8, 2010 at 9:31 pm

Yum! I am always looking for an excuse to eat more dates…

32 Susan September 8, 2010 at 9:42 pm

These look delicious!! Bananas!

33 Larissa H September 8, 2010 at 9:43 pm

any one know about how many calories?

34 Lindsey @ Gingerbread Bagels September 8, 2010 at 9:47 pm

Those look so yummy but sadly I’m allergic to bananas. :(

35 Liz @ LBBakes September 8, 2010 at 9:51 pm

I love healthy treats, and this is certainly one. I love using up ripe bananas in recipes. Thanks for sharing!

36 caronae September 8, 2010 at 9:52 pm

I’m in love with these cookies and I haven’t even made or eaten any yet! I need them in my belly now! :)

37 Kori September 8, 2010 at 9:54 pm

Another great recipe and idea from your blog! Thanks so much, Allie!!

38 Shannon, Tropical Eats September 8, 2010 at 9:58 pm

these look SO good! :) will definitely be trying these. simplicity at its finest!

39 Chelsey September 8, 2010 at 10:20 pm

Those look absolutely amazing – I think I need to go buy more oats just to make these. Okay, who am I kidding? I needed to buy more oats for oatmeal anyways!!

40 Kaitlyn (College Girl Runs) September 8, 2010 at 10:23 pm

I am soooo excited to make this tomorrow. I just bought chopped dates and only need half of the package for the fig cookies I’m making tomorrow…and we have 3 ripe bananas! Thanks for the awesome idea :)

41 Caitlin September 8, 2010 at 10:24 pm

Oh holy heck these look sooo good. I love oaty, hearty baked treats–and anything with banana bread flavor.

42 Courtney @ Bread & Bokeh September 8, 2010 at 10:37 pm

I have marked this blog post as a favorite! That recipe looks perfect for me, as I don’t have many baking ingredients right now.

43 Emily September 8, 2010 at 10:41 pm

These look and sound amazingg! Recipe printed and planning on making them asap :)

44 Christina (Dinner at Christina's) September 8, 2010 at 10:55 pm

Oh man I’m running downstairs now to defrost some bananas to make these!! Thank you thank you thank you – it’s like you went in my brain and sucked out my craving! :)

45 Jessica @ The Process of Healing September 8, 2010 at 10:57 pm

I now dub you, the Queen of Bakers :)

46 Meg September 8, 2010 at 11:09 pm

SO making these!!! – once my bananas ripen that is ..oh and im adding pumpkin spice hehe

47 Liza @ Health Nutting September 9, 2010 at 12:25 am

Those look delicious and so easy! Hopefully I’ll make ‘em soon!

48 Simply Life September 9, 2010 at 2:04 am

wow, those look great!

49 Krista September 9, 2010 at 10:12 am

Those do look great, Allie! Way to be creative!!

50 Kristen September 11, 2010 at 4:24 pm

I love this idea! I’m all about whole foods and creating tasty treats from whatever you’ve got on hand. Thanks for sharing. These are sure to be a recipe I make for breakfast and snacks in the near future.

51 Christina (Dinner at Christina's) September 12, 2010 at 10:13 pm

I made them! Thanks for sharing!

52 Erika September 13, 2010 at 3:39 am

Oh wow, these are delicious! I made up a batch and now I think I’ll have to get more bananas so I can make up another bunch of ‘em. I don’t like dates (I know, what’s wrong with me?) so I used apricots, and I also threw in some sunflower seeds and walnuts. WOW. These things are the ultimate snack-on-the-go!

PS, I used to get this sort of cake thing at a coffee shop when I was a kid – we called them “hockey pucks” because they were a similar shape and size to a puck, and just about as heavy!

53 Melissa Miller September 14, 2010 at 1:43 pm

Oh Goody!
Thank you SO MUCH for posting this … it is straight up my alley. First off– I follow a no-sugar, no-flour diet. Secondly, I have very little baking supplies (because I don’t really bake) but always have oatmeal and bananas and dried fruit.
Thirdly, these look quite easy and I’m…. well I am lazy I guess. (For now).

Thanks so much….such an inspiration.
Much like your Quaker Oat Squares, these ingredients are um….”touchy” for me. Less than a year ago, no way I would even consider. Now, thanks to reading healthy living blogs like yours I eat them more and more frequently.

54 Joanne May 15, 2011 at 4:06 pm

I stumbled upon your blog from another blog a read often… and this recipe jumped out at me. Anything with oats and banana in the name are like something sparkley to me LOL

Anyways, I made these right away but with raisins instead of dates. I also pressed them into a square dish and make them into bars because I didn’t want to get my hands dirty (again!). I also swtiched the canola oil for coconut oil… but everything else was the same.

I absolutely LOVE these!! They turned out so awesome! I thought they’d be more like a granola bar and be kinda hard (not that I’d be complaining! LOL)… but they are deliciously soft and moist and perfectly sweet.

55 Kathleen @ KatsHealthCorner July 31, 2011 at 11:08 am

Those bites look delcious! I love how few ingredients are in them!! :D

56 Juju@getfitwithjuju May 2, 2012 at 8:07 pm

OMGosh girl, these bites look heavenly!! I cannot wait to make this ASAP! xoxo

57 Linh Ton July 5, 2012 at 10:31 am

Awesomeee ! But i dont have any canola oil?

58 Linh Ton July 5, 2012 at 12:08 pm

Oh and alsoooo, can i use quick oat because i dont have any rolled oats? :(

59 Allie July 5, 2012 at 1:01 pm

Hey Linh! You can pretty much use whatever neutral tasting oil for this recipe. Vegetable oil, coconut oil, walnut oil, avocado oil, etc. I haven’t tried making these with quick oats but I bet it’d work…perhaps even better than rolled!

60 Linh Ton July 11, 2012 at 11:26 am

thats great ! i tried making them using coconut oil and quick oats. they tasted sooo good, eventho they didnt look as good as yours, they looked like very ugly obese meatballs. anyways, im going to make this again soon. wonderful recipe. thank youuuu <3