The Wine Kitchen

by Allie on June 18, 2011 · 26 comments

in Dessert,Dining Out,Drinks,Lunch

Since my family moved out to Leesburg, VA, miles and miles from where I grew up, meeting up with old friends from high school has been a bit of a hike. However, It worked out that I got to see some of them today while I was home for the weekend. Kat Lobes decided to celebrate her birthday at The Wine Kitchen in the heart of downtown Leesburg (just a few miles from my house!).

IMG_6435.jpg IMG_6438hb2.jpg

I’d heard great things about the wine bar, but had never ventured out there myself.

collage 369.jpg

It’s 5 o’clock somewhere…

I loved their simple philosophy.

collage 368.jpg

We did just that!

collage 371.jpg

Much to my delight, we were seated right by a large, beautiful window, which let in tons of natural light. Hallelujah!

I ordered the lunch special. Shrimp, crab and tuna over mixed greens, tossed in lemon and oil.

This was a refreshing salad–cool and light. Just what I needed on a hot summer day.

I wanted to get the Seared Ahi Tuna but since I always order that, I decided to branch out. It looked great though and Erin gave me her seaweed salad!

The birthday girl ordered Chicken and Waffles.

For dessert, we ordered all three desserts to share.

IMG_6442a.jpg IMG_6443a.jpg

Or…cake balls!

IMG_6446a.jpg

Good food, good wine and good company.

IMG_6416.jpg IMG_6433.jpg

Happy Birthday, Kat Lobes!

Today was a reminder that I need to visit downtown Leesburg more often and that the hike to meet up with old friends is always worth it.

…and that I really love photographing people.

Tell me…your favorite type of wine!

1 Katelyn @ Chef Katelyn June 18, 2011 at 10:45 pm

I love a good riesling! I am drooling over the country chic-ness. That salad looks so delicious and home-y. I’m so glad you had a great time love!!

2 chelsey @ clean eating chelsey June 18, 2011 at 11:06 pm

My favorite kind of wine.. hmmm I have a couple – one is Aldesso, which is a sweet dessert wine. My other is any kind of white chardonnay!

3 Abby June 18, 2011 at 11:14 pm

I like White Zinfindel or Chardonnay! :)

4 Lauren June 18, 2011 at 11:22 pm

That looks like such a cute place to eat, and meeting with old high school friends is always a blast! I love all red wines, especially cabernets.

5 Brynne June 18, 2011 at 11:27 pm

Ah that all looks so amazing! Wine + seafood = the best meals.

6 Kate (What Kate is Cooking) June 18, 2011 at 11:37 pm

I don’t know anything about wine! All I know is that I prefer white to red :)

7 Rachel June 18, 2011 at 11:39 pm

Red, red, red!! I love me some merlot! Which is weird ’cause I used to only like the rosé wines and the dessert wines. Maybe I grew-up! Or my palate did at least! :p

That restaurant looks FABULOUS!

P.S. – You didn’t tell us YOUR favourite wine!

8 Allie June 19, 2011 at 4:11 pm

I’m afraid I don’t know wine enough to have a favorite! I do love sparkling wine :) .

9 Noya - gluttonandstudent June 19, 2011 at 12:38 am

Your photography is amazing! Natural light is my favorite – like most people.

The seafood salad looks like a good choice – it looks delicious.

Although I’m not of age, I like pinot grigio or chardonnay.

10 Allie June 19, 2011 at 4:12 pm

Thanks!

11 Jessica @ The Process of Healing June 19, 2011 at 1:03 am

OMG those desserts sound AMAZING!! Anything resembling cake balls and fried dough? Ohhhh yes!

12 Khushboo June 19, 2011 at 1:33 am

Chicken and waffles?? Never heard of savoury waffles but I have no doubt they taste good!

13 Allie June 19, 2011 at 4:12 pm

You haven’t been to the South then, huh? Chicken and waffles is a classic!

14 kris (everyday oats) June 19, 2011 at 1:44 am

I always want to get seared ahi tuna whenever I eat out too. It’s my favorite! I actually really wanted to order it this afternoon when I went out for lunch, but since I had a ton of it last week I got a sandwich instead. The salad you got looks really delicious though!

15 Justeen @ Blissful Baking June 19, 2011 at 3:20 am

I loveee ice wine! And I love a nice glass of riesling. The Wine Kitchen looks so nice – definitely some place I’d like to visit!

16 Lauren June 19, 2011 at 7:41 am

What a fun place!! That salad looks so refreshing! I love eating Tuna Salads on hot days but rarely order them because they are laden with mayo. This would be perfect. :) Glad you had a wonderful day with good friends and good food.

17 Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin June 19, 2011 at 8:12 am

Meeting friends for meals is one of my favourite ways to catch up. It sounds like you had a fun time! And a great meal too. That salad looks so fresh!

I like red wines like cabs and malbecs. Nothing too strong or peppery though!

18 Gina @ Running to the Kitchen June 19, 2011 at 8:50 am

Looks like such a fun get together with friends and good food! Usually a cab girl myself but there are so many good ones out there!

19 Lauren @ What Lauren Likes June 19, 2011 at 8:52 am

I’m underage to drink :) but I have tried this dessert wine my dad gets called Sauterns Noble Rot, they let the grapes rot on the vine, then make them into wine. It was really good.

20 rumfunandsun June 19, 2011 at 9:01 am

I love Moscato. Mainly because it is super sweet just like me! Bahaha! ;-)

21 kaila @ healthy helper! June 19, 2011 at 9:37 am

I am not of age so how about……a nice sparkling cider?! LOL! Looks like some awesome food ya got going on there! I LOVE ahi…..and seaweed salad is a must! Glad you had a nice time!

22 Liz @ Tip Top Shape June 19, 2011 at 9:54 am

omg, those beignets look so amazing!! I wish I had some now for breakfast!

23 Liv @ The Salty n' Sweet June 19, 2011 at 10:16 am

The Wine Kitchen looks so good! Especially those desserts ;)

Where did you live during high school??? And I totally agree, after photographing food throughout the day, I really love photographing people for a change!

24 Balancing Sylvia June 19, 2011 at 12:25 pm

That totally looks like my new favorite restaraunt that I’ll prob never get to try. On the other hand my absolute favorite wine is Prosecco. If I can’t have Prosecco (Veneto Region, Italy) then my next favorite is a dry Pinot Grigio. :D I <3 Wine!
By the way your pictures looked fantastic.

25 Annette @EnjoyYOURHealthyLife June 19, 2011 at 4:05 pm

what a pretty lunch!

26 Matt @ The Athlete's Plate June 19, 2011 at 7:41 pm

That chicken and waffles seriously looks amazing.