The Amazing Race: Marshalls Edition

by Allie on February 17, 2012 · 46 comments

in Fitness,Fun Stuff,Shopping

If there was The Amazing Race: Marshalls Edition, I would totally crush the competition. I know that place like the back of my hand. I don’t mean navigating around the store, I mean finding stuff—what’s a good deal, what’s a rip off, what you should wait to get on clearance, what you should snag right away.

Actually, no. There’s one person who could beat me. His name is Peter. Wait, we’d be paired together, right? Score. Nobody would even come close to beating us. You should see us both shopping in there…analyzing products and their price tags like we’re investing in the stock market.

[If you are unfamiliar with Marshalls (bless your heart), it's a discount store that sells name brand shoes, clothes, bags, cosmetics, dishes, food, etc. It's usually stuff from past seasons that stores need to get rid of.]

Unlike regular stores, there’s a thrill when shopping at Marshalls because you never know what you’re gonna find (the only problem is when you want to find something specific and you can’t find it or you’re just not in the digging mood).

Lately, I’ve been scouring the food section. They have some awesome health foods there at great prices. Some products I come across I have yet to see in actual health food stores.

I found this gluten free all purpose flour blend the other day that I’m so excited to bake with. It’s made with cassava flour, unmodified potato starch and organic coconut flour. I may have let out a squeal or two.

IMG_8140.jpg IMG_8141.jpg

I also found this Gourmet Today cookbook on clearance for $5!

Now that’s a deal. I flipped open the book and the first recipe I saw was for brownies. SOLD!

A got another box of these Almond and Cranberry Protein Bars, which I first bought a couple months ago. These are delicious and the ingredients list is simple.

The protein comes from rice, sunflower seeds and almonds. Simple. I’ve been eating these before my runs recently and they sit well in my stomach.

I also found jars of Justin’s Peanut Butter, but since I’m allergic, I passed. Had there been the Chocolate Hazelnut variety, I would’ve fainted right then and there!

Okay, I’ll have to work on not passing out if I wanna win The Amazing Race.

Last but not least, coconut water. I chugged this upon walking in the door from my run on Wednesday.

coconutwater.jpg

I woke up late on Wednesday, so I didn’t have much time before heading out for my run. I usually take in about 450-500 calories before my runs. With that amount, I feel my best yet don’t get cramps. Because I know I’ll get questions…I dont count calories on a daily basis. The only time I do is before and after my runs so I make sure I get enough fuel.

On Wednesday, I only had about an hour to fuel up, so I only ate about 200 calories. Boy did it make a difference! The usual pep in my step was missing. I brought 2 ginger chews with me, which I consumed while running, but I’m afraid it was too little too late. Hence, the chugging of the coconut water.

I still managed to run 8 miles in 71 min (avg pace 8:58 min/mi), but it was much more challenging than the same run 2 days prior.

Food is fuel!

Can we talk about these Gin Gins? When I bought my Spiderman running tights, the company sent me these Gin Gins for fun. These are my new favorite ginger chews, and that’s saying something.

They have the same chewy texture as Starbursts (!!!) and they’re not too gingery. Of course they’re awesome because they’re made by The Ginger People. I need to find these. Maybe they’ll show up at Marshalls?

My run was also fueled by these 4 fast songs, which I listened to on repeat.

Part of Me—Katy Perry

Anyone else pumped for the angstiness that will be Katy Perry’s new post-divorce album?

Heartbeat—The Fray

Stronger—Kelly Clarkson

Turn Me On—David Guetta and Nicki Minaj

Did you hear? Adele is taking a 5 year break. What the heck? Noooo! She could’ve warned me earlier to pace myself with her two previous albums, which I listened to on repeat for months on end.

I’ll be nearly 29 by the time she comes out with another album?! Please let her be kidding. Puh-lease.

WAIT! I’m gonna be nearly 29 in 5 years? Oh mah gah.

***

My band concert went well last night. Mama D brought kiddo #2 and Camille. The ‘rents, Kat Lobes and her boyfriend Doug came too. It was nice to have my own fan club in the audience.

Mama D took this photo of us playing.

Where’s Waldo Allie?

If you can’t see the sweat beads on my forehead and my heart thumping out of my chest, I’m in the 2nd row, directly in front of the band director. I’m so glad those solos are over and done with! Phew.

Alrighty, the sun is shining. It’s time for me to run. Have a wonderful weekend, friends.

Tell me: Do you shop at Marshalls/HomeGoods/TJMaxx? What do you typically buy there?

***

Winner of the Camera Strap Giveaway is…

Screen Shot 2012-02-16 at 8.47.56 AM.png

1 Jenny February 17, 2012 at 12:32 pm

Bargain shopping is so much cup of tea! Great purchases!

2 Krissy @ Shiawase Life February 17, 2012 at 12:38 pm

OMG you know I love Marshalls and all those – even better right now, Brad cashed in our Amtrak points that were going to expire for TJMAXX/Marshalls/HomeGoods gift cards – $150 worth!!!

3 Casey @ Insatiably Healthy February 17, 2012 at 12:44 pm

I more of a Target fiend. I get all of my shoes there. People thing theyre designer too. I’m a big fan of outlet shopping though. gotta love a great deal!

4 Allie February 18, 2012 at 10:14 am

I have a pair for pleather flats from Target I got about 5 years ago and I get the most compliments on them. I think they were $17?

5 Rachel February 17, 2012 at 1:12 pm

Those stores are so hit and miss for me! I can always find neat home/kitchen items I want, but I struggle to find clothes. They hardly ever have anything cute in my size (XS-S!!). I think it’s so weird!

But TARGET. Now that’s where I excel. I know every clearance nook and cranny in my Target. You know how they say to take what you’re good at, and what you love, and make it your career? Well, I wish I could really be a professional Target shopper. But until someone will pay me for that, I’ll keep my amateur status.

6 Allie February 18, 2012 at 10:16 am

Haha I know Target too! I wait for things to go on clearance, so I stalk those racks like it’s my job. You should work for corporate Target :) . Something tells me it’s not the same.

7 Kaila @healthyhelperblog! February 17, 2012 at 1:29 pm

I think I could give you some good competition for the Marshalls Amazing race LOL! I am in there EVERY week! Always looking for deals and steals! I am the master at finding cool food brands, brand name clothes, and pretty bowls! SCOOOOORE!

8 Allie February 18, 2012 at 10:16 am

There was ONE box of them there yesterday! Can you believe it?! My heart skipped a beat.

9 Mitra February 17, 2012 at 1:31 pm

I was always worried that the food would be old and stale. Glad to know that it isn’t. I’ll have to go find some goodies!

10 Allie February 17, 2012 at 2:57 pm

No, they usually have expiration dates that are a ways away.

11 Lindsay February 17, 2012 at 1:33 pm

XO Baking Co has amazing cornbread and ooey gooey brownies!

12 Allie February 17, 2012 at 4:21 pm

I haven’t seen their products around. I bet they’re at Whole Foods. Are they mixes?

13 Khushboo February 17, 2012 at 1:42 pm

Ok I need to hear the David Guetta & Nicki Manaj track and what is Adele on…why would she even consider a break??? Crazy woman!

14 Lauren @ What Lauren Likes February 17, 2012 at 1:45 pm

I lovee Marshalls :) Glad the concert went well :)

15 Elisabeth February 17, 2012 at 2:10 pm

I’m in love with Adele, too, (as is the rest of the world it seems!) and about had a heart attack when I heard she was breaking for 5 years. However, the bottom of the article now has an update:

UPDATE: Adele has since dismissed the quote as an offhand comment. “I’ve a few days off now, and then it’s the Brit Awards here at home and then I’m straight into the studio. BOYYAHH! 5 years? More like 5 days,” she wrote on her blog.

Yay! :D

16 Allie February 17, 2012 at 2:53 pm

OH MY GAAHH!!! Thank goodness. That is music to my ears (pun totally intended). PHEW! I seriously almost started crying when I read that article.

17 Life's a Bowl February 17, 2012 at 2:31 pm

I always am so happy when I have a bag full of goodies and know I save a bunch of $$$! The outlets are another weakness… I’m also happy to know that I’m not the only person who buys food goodies from those stores :P Usually it’s just me sifting through it all by myself hah!

18 Patty February 17, 2012 at 2:43 pm

TJ Maxx is the truth! I buy everything from underwear to cookware. My best buy was a $20 Calphalon pot!

19 Allie February 17, 2012 at 2:54 pm

$20?!? No WAY! If there ever is an Amazing Race, you are so my partner.

20 June February 17, 2012 at 3:17 pm

Ive just recently gotten into shopping at tj Maxx. We have no marshalls here in my west texas town but I loved it when I lived in NC (Durham, in fact!). I love your blog. You inspire me with your running. I wish I were better about it and that my knee weren’t such a piece these days. 30.5 is too young to have knee problems!

21 Allie February 17, 2012 at 4:23 pm

Thanks, June! I went to the one in Durham for study breaks–on 15-501 right? Bummer about your knee problems. Were they caused by running?

22 Ash February 17, 2012 at 3:27 pm

I love shopping at TJ Maxx! I like to get Kurig Cups when they have them. $7.99 rather then $11.99. Kitchen gadgets, clothes, books, doggie pads, under garments,etc. Haha.

23 Christie February 17, 2012 at 3:43 pm

We don’t have any of those shops in New Zealand! I guess our similar one is ‘The Warehouse’ where everything is way cheaper – I tend to shop there quite a bit!

24 Stellina @ My Yogurt Addiction February 17, 2012 at 4:31 pm

I LOVE Marshalls too! I agree, you do have to be in the “digging” mood, otherwise it’s a big waste of time!

25 Melissa @ Journey to Marvelous February 17, 2012 at 5:21 pm

I do shop at Marshall’s and TJ Maxx…even though I try to avoid it! I just end up leaving with too much stuff! I usually check out the purses and dishes!

26 Emily February 17, 2012 at 5:56 pm

The closest Marshalls-type store to me is Ross, and I LOVE it. I normally head to the food section first – I’ve found tons of crazy stuff there for dirt cheap. And the prices for clothes and shoes are absolutely unbeatable! Discount shoppers unite :D

27 Mary @ Bites and Bliss February 17, 2012 at 6:54 pm

Marshalls has gluten-free flour?! I need to shop there! Grocery stores are WAY too expensive! I do like TJMaxx for their foods, too. It’s really cool what they have.

By the way, I read this title 4 times as “The Amazing Race: Marshmallow Edition.” ;)

28 Allie February 18, 2012 at 10:18 am

Haha we know where your head is at!! I could totally win that edition too. I’d partner up with kiddo #1. She’s a marshmallow fiend.

29 Pam February 17, 2012 at 7:42 pm

I worked at Marshall’s from age 16 until I graduated from college. They offered a pretty nice discount and always treated me well as an employee.
I was at the store yesterday, and it was PACKED with people looking for Easter shoes and dresses.

30 Michelle (Better with Berries) February 17, 2012 at 8:07 pm

I JUST went to tjmaxx for the first time in a while yesterday! I was in a rush and just got what I was looking for (a cute frame), but I saw some cute things out of the corner of my eye that I kind of want to go back for! I’m rarely in the mood to dig around for deals, so I always have to make sure to go to those stores when I’m in the perfect state of mind!

31 BroccoliHut February 17, 2012 at 8:12 pm

I LOVE me some Marshalls/TJ Maxx/HomeGoods action. I usually hit up TJ for shoes, purses, and sports bras, but go to HomeGoods for my dishes, towels, kitchen tools, and dog stuff (I recently scored a super cute dog bed for Margot there!).

32 Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin February 17, 2012 at 8:14 pm

I loooove HomeSense and Winners, which are the Canadian versions of those stores! They have an awesome selection of health foods too – I got my coconut oil, quinoa cereal, and Kodiak pancake mix, and so many other things there! :D

33 Matt @ The Athlete's Plate February 17, 2012 at 8:40 pm

Tj Maxx has some amazing prices on kitchen stuff!

34 Jenny@vegetarianhatesvegetables February 17, 2012 at 9:10 pm

I love Marshall’s and TJ Maxx! Target is getting way too expensive these days, although their stuff is way better now. Guess that’s the trade-off.

35 Lauren February 17, 2012 at 9:48 pm

There are always treasures to be found at Marshalls! Love that store but my wallet…not so much.

36 Katie @ Talk Less, Say More February 18, 2012 at 12:11 am

Marshalls and TJMaxx are dangerous when it comes to me and shoes…for whatever reason that’s ALWAYS where I find heels that I need right.now. ;)

37 June February 18, 2012 at 1:40 am

Allie, yes the one off 15-501! I miss Durham! Knee injury from running, I think so. Most likely from not stretching after a run. Bad idea.

38 Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers February 18, 2012 at 10:07 am

I like TJ Maxx better then Marshalls, however there both owned by the same company. I don’t like Ross, blah!

39 Ellie@Fit for the Soul February 18, 2012 at 1:41 pm

oh man, you just reminded me I’ll be 29 too, in 5 years! lol. And I love marshalls and tjmaxx!! I think at marshalls, I prefer their clothing more than at tjmaxx, but the other kitchen, miscellaneous, and food items are good at both! I definitely like to try “new” products or gourmet sauces, teas, etc. from those places since they’re cheap. Also, I like to peruse through their plate/baking section!

40 Haley February 18, 2012 at 4:49 pm

I’m almost embarrassed to say that I’ve never even looked/noticed/seen food products in Marshall’s!!!!! I always go to find my daughters’ Easter dresses and dresses for other special occasions, like weddings, funerals, concerts, school programs…I digress. I cannot believe it! I guess b/c ours is next to World Market, and I usually go find cool food finds in there, I’ve never even thought to check! I know what’s on my to-do list next week! Thanks!

41 Erin @ Girl Gone Veggie February 18, 2012 at 7:43 pm

I love TJMaxx/ Marshalls. You can find some crazy good deals there. All that food looks yummy!

42 Erica D February 18, 2012 at 10:16 pm

My high school had those same backdrop things!! Wow. Band memories!

43 Molly @ RDexposed February 19, 2012 at 1:28 pm

Our MarshallS are now Macy’s-even the on Michigan Ave!
Also I heard the 5 year thing and then heard Adele deny that rumor.
Rumor has it…. Now that’s stuck in my head!

44 Lauren @ Girls Gone Food February 19, 2012 at 7:05 pm

I love love love Marshalls and TJmaxx! I always feel like I’m on a treasure hunt!

45 Kristabel@RaceReady February 20, 2012 at 1:19 am

I don’t get over to TJMaxx often, but when I do I always find some cool foodie treats. :-)

46 Cecilia February 20, 2012 at 9:15 am

I used to hate stores like Marshalls and Home Goods because they caused me so much anxiety, especially if I was looking for something specific. But lately I’ve been enjoying the “treasure hunt” aspect of it.