Half-Baked Chocolate Chip Cookie bites

by Allie on May 4, 2012 · 19 comments

in Gluten free,Oven Lovin' (Baking),Recipes

It’s been a cookie-fied week over here. The kiddos may be cookie monsters, but I hold the crown as the Cookie Monster Queen. It’s been my go-to dessert snack as of late.

Let’s keep this short and sweet.

These cookies have a half-baked texture.

Think cookie dough meets soft crumbly cookie.

They’re totally snack appropriate.

Need I say more?

Half-Baked Chocolate Chip Cookie Bites

GF and Vegan

Adapted from Krissy’s Cashew Niblets

• 1 cup brown rice flour
  • 1 TBSP light brown sugar, packed
  • 1 TBSP tapioca starch
  • 1/2 tsp baking powder
  • pinch of salt
  • 3/4 cup almond meal
  • 1/2 cup medjool dates, chopped
  • 2 TBSP coconut oil, melted
  • 2 TBSP brown rice syrup
  • 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1/4 cup chocolate chips (dairy-free if making vegan)

Preheat oven to 325*F. Soak chopped medjool dates in a small bowl filled with hot water for 10 minutes to soften. In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, tapioca starch, baking powder and salt. In a food processor or high speed blender, blend softened (and drained) medjool dates and almond meal until a paste is formed. Add wet ingredients (coconut oil, brown rice syrup, vanilla) and process until fully combined. Add the flour mixture and continue to process until a sticky dough is formed. Fold in chocolate chips.

Roll dough into 1 inch balls and place on a greased cookie sheet. Press down gently on cookies to flatten. Bake at 325*F for 7-8 minutes. Remove from oven and allow to cool.

1. No almond meal? Try another type of nut. Just process the nuts in a high speed blender/food processor first. Nut butter would probably work as well.

2. The brown rice flour didn’t have a binding effect, so you could try substituting another type of flour (i.e. oat, all-purpose, white rice).

3. Honey in place of brown rice syrup.

4. Potato starch or corn starch would probably work in place of tapioca starch.

I haven’t made the cookies using these substitutions, so I can’t tell you exactly how they would turn out. If you make them, please let me know the end result!

Oh by the way, the bites taste amazing frozen.

Have a wonderful cookie-and-Mexican-food-filled weekend!

Tell me: Got any fun plans for Cinco de Mayo?

1 Evan Thomas May 4, 2012 at 10:57 am

Oh geez, those melty chocolate chips just do me in.

2 kris May 4, 2012 at 11:35 am

i think the pictures speak for themselves…those look deeeelish!

3 May 4, 2012 at 12:15 pm

mmmm, you had me at those melty chocolate chips ;) Hope your day is fantastic!

4 chelsey @ clean eating chelsey May 4, 2012 at 12:51 pm

Oh these look incredible!!

5 Anna May 4, 2012 at 1:11 pm

Those look perfect! I wonder if grinding your own brown rice flour would work… And whether they’d be the same without tapioca starch. Does corn starch work as a substitute?

6 Allie May 4, 2012 at 5:01 pm

I think grinding brown rice flour would work. Make sure you get it super fine though. Yes, corn starch would probably work. See sub #4.

7 Rebekah @ Medicine, Munchies & Movement May 4, 2012 at 1:35 pm

Ohhhh yummm…these cookie bites will be the death of me! Haha. I have such a weakness for cookie dough. My sisters and I used to make a batch and just watch a movie with a big bowl each. We must be immune to any form of bacteria found in the eggs :P .

I’ll definitely be trying these with some of the substitutions and will definitely let you know how they turn out!

8 Julie H. of Spinach and Sprinkles May 4, 2012 at 1:52 pm

Those look and sound delicious! I am going through an eat my body weight in anything sweet due to the bun in the oven. (wait, I’ve done that even before there was a bun in the oven! oops, my bad ;) ) I’m sure this could be a wonderful fix….

9 Crystal May 4, 2012 at 2:22 pm

I am definitely going to have to try these out very soon… they look so yummy!! And they can be made vegan is even better :)

10 Lisa May 4, 2012 at 4:52 pm

Holy moly, these look divine. That picture with the melting chocolate chips, ahh looks so good.

11 Liz @ Tip Top Shape May 4, 2012 at 5:22 pm

Oohh these look fantastic!!! I need these NOW!

12 Matt @ The Athlete's Plate May 4, 2012 at 7:36 pm

Never seen cookies with brown rice flour before. These look great!

13 Annette @FitnessPerks May 4, 2012 at 7:46 pm

Whoa! Yummy! Already pinned :)

14 Julie May 5, 2012 at 1:48 am

Yay! Thanks for posting this recipe. Half-baked is the best!

15 Mattie @ Comfy and Confident May 5, 2012 at 11:33 am

Those look delicious. I really want to make them but I have none of those ingredients in my house. Literally none, except the chocolate chips! Ha. Guess I need to go shopping, because I really want to make them.

16 Liz (Little Bitty Bakes) May 5, 2012 at 10:13 pm

Oh my gosh, these look so delicious!

17 Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin May 6, 2012 at 7:50 am

I haven’t been reading blogs for the past week because I’ve been away on a trip, but this post was the perfect one to come back to! These look amazing!

18 Beth May 22, 2012 at 9:31 pm

Hey Allie, I have made this recipe a couple of times now substituting alot including corn starch, vegetable oil, maple syrup instead of brown rice, and almond butter instead of meal. I also added oats which gave them a kinda hearty texture …they still turned out awesome, especially in the freezer like you suggested…YUM! Thanks for the great recipes, keep them coming!

19 Allie May 23, 2012 at 12:14 am

Ooh thanks for the feedback! I need to get a jug of maple syrup.