I Ran a Marathon!

by Allie on October 28, 2012 · 53 comments

in Marathon Training,Running

I DID IT!!! I ran a marathon! My official time was 4:34. Average pace: 10:28 min/mile.

What an incredible experience. 26.2 miles I will never ever forget.

IMG_0043.jpg IMG_0039.jpg

My Garmin calculated 26.77 miles, which I can actually believe because I did quite a bit of swerving. Between the long walk from the Metro station to the start line and the extra long walk from the finish line to the finish festival (whyyyyy?), I probably covered 30 miles today. 3.8 too many.

image-307.jpeg IMG_0050.jpg

Thankfully, Hurricane Sandy stayed away, though it was quite windy out there.

I sprinted my heart out the last 4 miles, which I’ll talk more about in my recap post!

After a nice, luxurious ice bath (it felt SO good I didn’t want to get out!) and a steamy hot shower, I am actually feeling pretty good. I’m sure I’ll be hurting tomorrow. In fact, I’m kinda scared to go to bed tonight.

14 years later

IMG_9892.jpg IMG_9891.jpg

…their asthmatic daughter who as a toddler would cry after running to the end of the driveway because she would start wheezing, has completed a marathon!

During my senior year of high school, my final project for English class was to make a scrapbook. I wrote an All About Me page that I thought would be fun to look back on later in life. Well, I found it the other day and saw this…

image-308.jpeg

Nothing is impossible! (maybe retiring young ha!) You wouldn’t believe some of the other nonsense I wrote :) .

I’d love to stay and chat, but I gotta go chow down!

image-297.jpeg

Thank you all so much for your support throughout training and all day today! I’ve loved reading all your tweets, comments, and Facebook messages. They kept me going during the race.

I’ll be back later with a race recap.

1 Krissy @ Shiawase Life October 28, 2012 at 10:46 pm

Congrats again, Allie :)

2 Lindsay October 28, 2012 at 10:54 pm

Thats amazing an inspiring!
I hope someday i can run a marathon; hoping that my injuries stay away
what kind of compression socks do you recommend?
WAY to go girl!

3 JW October 28, 2012 at 10:58 pm

Congratulations!!! That is amazing! Oh and what kind of garmin do you use? I want to get one and would love to know what you recommend. Thanks!

4 Allie October 28, 2012 at 11:04 pm
5 Clare @ Fitting It All In October 28, 2012 at 10:58 pm

congrats allie! bask in the glory for a while:)

6 Brooke (beingvivacious.blogspot.com) October 28, 2012 at 11:08 pm

Horray! Congratulations. You must feel so good right now.

7 kris October 28, 2012 at 11:35 pm

Congrats Allie! Such an amaaazing accomplishment!!

8 Aleksandra October 28, 2012 at 11:37 pm

YEAH, GIRL!

You totally rocked it. Way to go. :D

I hope you found a pedestal to stand on and got a picture to match your rents’!

9 Hillary October 29, 2012 at 12:21 am

Congrats, Allie on your HUGE accomplishment. Your self-determination to complete a full marathon as your very first running race is inspirational.

Marathon Allie = Mini Allie.

Can’t wait to read the full recap…

10 Janet October 29, 2012 at 12:29 am

Congratulations!! What a great day for you and your parents. I have enjoyed following
your journey to your dream. Have a great week and enjoy this accomplishment.

11 Gina @ Health Love and Chocolate October 29, 2012 at 1:01 am

Congratulations, looking forward to the recap!

12 Fiona M October 29, 2012 at 4:03 am

Well Done, amazing achievement! I love the last photo of you with those cute pink compression socks, way to go!!

13 Elizabete October 29, 2012 at 4:30 am

Wow, it’s great that you did it, congratulations! Now you can relax and eat a lot of good food to regain strength :)
Running a marathon seems something impossible for me to do, but who knows, if others can, why can’t i someday!

14 Kori October 29, 2012 at 6:20 am

Go Allie, go Allie!! =D How awesome! Congrats on doing such a fantastic job & overcoming your asthma. You really are an inspiration to many. :) Oh & you look ah-mazing even after running for 26.2 miles!

15 Sara @my less serious life October 29, 2012 at 7:28 am

you are so inspirational! way to go allie!

16 Julie @ Peanut Butter Fingers October 29, 2012 at 7:58 am

congratulations, allie!! how exciting! and i love the photos of your parents 14 years ago. so neat!

17 Eating 4 Balance October 29, 2012 at 8:16 am

Way to go! In a few years I should look back at my school scrapbook and see all the “nonsense” that I said. Recently though, I did find a letter to my future self (written in 5th grade) that told ME I better be getting “good grades, be in an Ivy league and/or making tons of money.” Ha! I was a harsh little kid :D

18 Lauren October 29, 2012 at 8:22 am

HOLLA!!!!! So so proud of you lady! :)

19 Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin October 29, 2012 at 8:31 am

Congrats Allie!!! That’s so amazing that you’ve accomplished your “impossible goal” from high school. Way to go. :D I hope you’re not too sore today!

20 Andrea Neises October 29, 2012 at 8:55 am

Congrats, You are an inspiration :)

21 Brittney October 29, 2012 at 9:37 am

Congratulations Allie! It’s an incredible feeling isn’t it? Can’t wait to read the recap!

22 Rachel October 29, 2012 at 10:29 am

WOW! Congrats! Such an accomplishment! xx

23 Lisa October 29, 2012 at 10:55 am

I remember the crying while chasing after me in the neighborhood during my practice run. You have come a long way my dear. You totally rocked it yesterday!

24 Ericka @ The Sweet Life October 29, 2012 at 11:17 am

Saw you were running! Congrtulations! I ran as well, so glad the rain stayed away!

25 Lauren @ Oatmeal after Spinning October 29, 2012 at 11:56 am

CONGRATS ALLIE!!! I’m so proud of you- and I know you’re super proud of yourself too! Revel in this glory for a long time- you accomplished something PRETTY DARN AMAZING.
It’s been fun to watch your journey from a “casual” runner to a hard-core marathoner!
Did you ride the metro back? We ended up walking to Georgetown- and then to Foggy Bottom!
I’m so sorry that I wasn’t able to find you after the race- but I still cheering you on! We’ll have to get together and celebrate SOON. :) xoxo

26 Katie @ Talk Less, Say More October 29, 2012 at 12:00 pm

Congrats!! And as a fellow-asmathic person, it’s wonderful to know that nothing is impossible. So proud of you!

27 Beverly Aragon October 29, 2012 at 12:04 pm

Congrats, Allie! What an amazing day. :)

28 Sara October 29, 2012 at 12:11 pm

Woohoo, congratulations! What an accomplishment!

29 Julie (A Case of the Runs) October 29, 2012 at 12:12 pm

Congrats for (literally?) following in the footsteps of you parents! You did well, and glad the storm stayed away!

Now, take some R&R!! In the nicest way possible, over the past few months, you have seemed to have lost a lot of weight and muscle tone (not typically something that happens during marathon training for most). Over the long run (no pun intended), you gotta take care of the machine so that you can continue kicking butt out there.

30 Marissa October 29, 2012 at 12:34 pm

That’s awesome! What an amazing accomplishment you should be so proud of yourself! I just ran my first half marathon, and I felt the greatest sense of achievement after. I can only imagine how you must feel, Truly inspiring! I hope to run my first full marathon sometime soon !

31 Alison (Fueling for Fitness) October 29, 2012 at 12:57 pm

Congratulations!! Amazing accomplishment and you look so thrilled to be finished. Hope you have an amazing celebration!

32 Shannon October 29, 2012 at 1:03 pm

Congratulations!!! As a longtime reader, it’s been cool to follow your journey. You’ve inspired me to pursue my own “impossible” goals. : )

33 Liz October 29, 2012 at 5:06 pm

That’s awesome. Congrats!

34 Alyson October 29, 2012 at 5:16 pm

Welcome to the marathon club and congrats on your running achievement! I am sure you will do another marathon! Nothing is impossible! I said I was never going to run a marathon after my first half marathon. Then I changed my mind to I will complete a marathon when I turn 30 years old. Then only 9 months after that first half marathon, I ran my first marathon. After my first marathon, I said one marathon is enough, but of course I did another marathon 1.5 years later. I just completed my second marathon at age 25. So never say never!

I can’t wait to read your recap for the details!

35 Melissa October 29, 2012 at 6:13 pm

So, so, sosososososososo SO happy for you Allie!!! You rocked it. Such an awesome accomplishment!!

36 Erin @ Girl Gone Veggie October 29, 2012 at 6:22 pm

Way to go girl!! What an accomplishment!

37 Liz (Little Bitty Bakes) October 29, 2012 at 8:16 pm

So happy for you! Now just let me know which marathon you want to run together! :)

38 JCHokie October 29, 2012 at 10:20 pm

YAY!!! What an amazing accomplishment! Can’t wait to read your recap!

39 Dinner at Christina's October 30, 2012 at 1:30 am

Congratulations Allie!!

40 Dixya @ Food, Pleasure and Health October 30, 2012 at 9:41 am

what a proud moment Allie :)

41 Annette @FitnessPerks October 30, 2012 at 10:42 am

SO awesome! You should be proud :) Congrats!

42 Heather October 30, 2012 at 8:55 pm

Hoooly crap that is amazing!!!! Congratulations on an incredible distance and first race ever! You have lost so much weight also WOW! How did you change your diet?

43 Ashley @ Coffee Cake and Cardio October 31, 2012 at 10:54 am

Congratulations!!!

44 Mabelle @ Dance, Love, Dine October 31, 2012 at 12:57 pm

Congrats on running the Marathon! That is amazing! YOU DID IT!!! Hope you come back to blogging more often. We miss your posts! :)

45 Mabelle @ Dance, Love, Dine October 31, 2012 at 12:58 pm

Congrats! You did it! Hope you come back to blogging more often! We miss you here! (PS: I posted something else before this and it got deleted. Sorry if you get two comments..lol)

46 EmonMaimon November 1, 2012 at 3:40 am

Congratulationsssssssssssssssssssssssssss! <3

47 Meredith November 1, 2012 at 8:17 pm

First of all, congratulations on completing your marathon! Secondly, I would just like to express my concerns at your obvious weight loss. I hope that you’re eating enough to keep up with all that running!

48 Kat November 2, 2012 at 8:25 pm

I second this, Allie. :( I’ve seen other pictures from your marathon and while it’s an amazing accomplishment that not many people, including myself, can do, I am deeply worried for you. You have had a tremendous amount of weight loss and while you may be choosing to go through it on your own, I don’t think it’s fair to your readers. You are a beautiful girl and I am in shock at how you are appearing. I hope you see this as coming from a place of serious concern and nothing else. I worry for you. I hope you get better.

49 Allie November 2, 2012 at 9:09 pm

I appreciate your concern. I’ve actually been hard at work trying to gain weight, eating as much as I possibly can. I think learning how to manage my stress and running less in the coming weeks will help.

50 Meredith November 2, 2012 at 11:06 pm

Thanks for your response, Allie. Good luck with cutting back on running and learning to manage your stress – I know stress management has been huge for me in learning to deal with weight/eating. Yoga has been incredibly vital in that, so I’m glad to see you practice!

51 Jodi (day2daywear) November 2, 2012 at 7:51 pm

GREAT job!! I know what it takes to accomplish this.. lots of hard work, dedication and determination. YOU DID IT… I hope you really take the time to acknowledge and celebrate your achievement.. woo hoo
Jodi

52 Sara November 3, 2012 at 1:05 pm

Congrats! That is such an amazing accomplishment! It takes so much dedication to train for a race like this, I can barely imagine running more than 5 miles right now! So cool!

53 Katie November 4, 2012 at 8:34 am

Allie! Miss you and I know I said congrats on instagram but I had to come on here and say it too.

Congrats girl!