A Very Merry Christmas 2012

by Allie on December 25, 2012 · 21 comments

in Holidays,Peter's Kitchen

Merry Christmas!

photo 2-13.JPG

‘Twas the day before Christmas when what was supposed to be an icky, rainy day turned out to be a beautiful, snowy, WHITE Christmas!

The first we’ve had in many many years.

xmassnow.JPG

This, my friends, was our Christmas tree this year. I’m not kidding. It kills me…breaks my heart.

photo 1-11.JPG

I tried, Santa, I really did! We’ll make it up to you next year.

This is the out-of-focus (artistic?) photo I took with my iPhone. Looks more like a real Christmas tree, eh? Kinda sorta…

photo 2-11.JPG

I missed Thanksgiving this year (my absolute favorite holiday ever) while I was on my trip, so our Christmas Eve [Peter's Kitchen] feast was extra special.

Peter went all out, natch.

photo 2-12.JPG

We enjoyed delicious appetizers including mussels (my latest obsession), bacon wrapped hearts of palm, gouda cheese and chicken liver pate while catching up and gawking at the gorgeous snow.

photo 1-15.JPG photo 3-10.JPG photo 2-15.JPG photo 4-6.JPG

Then it was feastin’ time.

On the menu: roast duck, jumbo tiger shrimp, and chicken curry.

photo 1-12.JPG

My favorite dish was by far the chicken curry. Peter usually makes it with lamb, but this time he used chicken drumsticks. The potatoes were cooked to perfection and the curry was rich, creamy and full of flavor.

Dessert was homemade (!!) by Lo the Bro. Pecan Cheesecake Ice Cream! He made it with whole milk, cream cheese, mascarpone cheese, sour cream, sugar, and pecans.

photo 1-14.JPG

Check out ALL those pecans. He packed ‘em in just for me. Usually, I pick through the carton for the nuts (yep, I’m totally one of those people), but I didn’t have to with this masterpiece :) . Pecans everywhere!

Christmas morning, I rolled out of bed and looked out the window to see if a short holiday run would be possible (that would be a NO). Lo and behold, there were two big ol’ REINDEER frolicking around right before my eyes!

Hi, Rudolph!!

photo 2-14.JPG

We deviated from our family tradition of opening presents at midnight on Christmas Eve because Peter was tired from cooking and drinking all day. So we waited until Christmas morning afternoon.

photo 3-9.JPG

It was a chat-and-watch-TV-while-snacking-on-leftovers all day long kinda day. Good times all around.

photo 1-13.JPG photo 3-8.JPG

I hope you had a wonderful holiday/Tuesday! Much love from my family to yours.

photo 4-5.JPG

Tell me: The best food you ate, the best gift you received and your favorite Christmas tradition!

***

Christmas Pasts:

Christmas 2009

Christmas 2010

Christmas 2011

1 Andrea December 26, 2012 at 12:00 am

How does eter make those shrimp!? Always look delish!!! :)

2 Andrea December 26, 2012 at 12:01 am

Peter** :)

3 Allie December 26, 2012 at 12:26 am

Just pan-fried in oil, garlic, salt and pepper.

4 Elleannie December 26, 2012 at 1:02 am

Merry Christmas to you : ) The food looks amazing. And you must live somewhere special to see reindeer outside your window!? That’s crazy!

5 Allie December 27, 2012 at 6:29 pm

Don’t you know? I live with Santa in the North Pole :) .

6 Khushboo Thadani December 26, 2012 at 6:12 am

Merry Christmas, Allie! Everything looks delicious, especially those shrimp and ice cream! My favorite was the chocolate yule log we had for dessert!

7 Lauren December 26, 2012 at 9:15 am

It was so nice to have a little snow on Christmas this year! Although now, I’m so over it. We’re supposed to get a nasty mix today and I’m not very amused that it’s sticking around. Glad you had a great holiday girl!

8 Chelsea @ One Healthy Munchkin December 26, 2012 at 11:09 am

Merry Christmas! It looks like you had a great time with your family. :) I’m jealous you guys got some snow! I was hoping for a white Christmas, but no dice.

Your dinner and that ice cream look delicious! The best thing I ate was the gingerbread cake with dulce de leche frosting that I made – I could have just eaten a bowl of that frosting alone!

9 Mabelle @ Dance, Love, Dine December 26, 2012 at 1:13 pm

Thats awesome! I hope Peter is a chef for a living because everything he makes look amazing. And that icecream omg! your brother seems to be following his footsteps lol merry xmass!

10 Allie December 27, 2012 at 6:33 pm

Ha Peter actually claims he doesn’t like to cook. Pshh!! Lies…

11 dixya @ food, pleasure, and health December 26, 2012 at 4:55 pm

loved all the dishes you had for xmas, esp the curry sounds delicious. I dont really have xmas tradition but had a really nice, white xmas in Dallas- its a present there itself. Also, got a KitchenAid mixer which i am totally stoked about :)

12 Allie December 27, 2012 at 6:33 pm

I got one for Christmas a couple years ago. Best gift ever! Happy baking!

13 Meghan @Health Continuum December 26, 2012 at 9:41 pm

OMG we need the recipe for Lo’s ice cream!

14 Allie December 27, 2012 at 6:34 pm

I’ll have to ask him for it!

15 Lauren @ Sassy Molassy December 27, 2012 at 1:06 am

OMG, that ice cream looks amazing. I want some! My favorite present was either a) our vacuum (we really needed one) or ) some lulu wonder unders.

16 Sharisse December 27, 2012 at 7:16 pm

Hi Allie, I am a new visitor to your blog and will definitely return! :) My best gift this Christmas is a Garmin 10! As a non-smartphone-owner, this is a big deal as I now have a way to track my miles when running outside.

17 Allie December 27, 2012 at 8:08 pm

Welcome, Sharisse! The Garmin will change your runs FOREVER!! You’re gonna love it.

18 Sharisse December 27, 2012 at 8:14 pm

Thanks! I actually just saw your workout gear page and read about your transition to outdoor running thanks to the Garmin. Need to run ASAP!

19 Jen@HealthyFoodandFamily December 29, 2012 at 8:49 pm

Looks like a very Merry Christmas was had by all, hope 2013 is awesome for you!!!

20 Asuma December 30, 2012 at 5:11 am

A Merry Christmas to you too Allie (thought it’s almost New Year’s Eve :P )!!!! I’m so glad you had such an amazing time with your family ;)

21 Liz @ Tip Top Shape January 13, 2013 at 6:32 pm

My computer won’t let me see your newest post :( Luckily I missed this one, so I’ll just comment here! That pecan cheesecake ice cream sounds RIDICULOUSLY good!! Now I’m going to dream about one day finding that in stores :D