Goin’ to Hogwarts!

by Allie on January 21, 2014 · 9 comments

in Trips

Hi there. How’s 2014 treating you so far? I wrote part of this post a few weeks ago and then…I started a new full time job and my life has been crazy! Like, I wake up at 5 am every morning (!!). I hope to be back to tell you more about all of that…soon.
Backtracking a bit…New Years week in Orlando, FL was relaxing and warm (I wore shorts and flip flops!). You better believe I took full advantage of the excellent running conditions. But eventually we had to say goodbye to sunny Orlando and come home to wintry mix/ice/snow/misery. Take me back!
Anyway, we went to Downtown Disney for New Year’s Eve after a home cooked seafood feast, complete with king crab legs, salmon, and shrimp.
A couple days later, we visited Universal Studios. I’ve been to Disney World a few times growing up and wanted to go to Universal this time, especially to check out The Wizarding World of Harry Potter.

photo 5-4

It looked so real!

photo 2-4

Of course I had to try some Butterbeer (I got the frozen one)! It tasted like butterscotch cream soda, two things I LOVE.

photo 3-5

We actually stumbled upon a delicious and not-too-expensive lunch. Rotisserie chicken, BBQ ribs, potatoes/fries, corn and this smoked turkey leg we’ve been talking about nonstop for days. It was SO good. SO tender. SO enormous! You can’t tell in this photo, but it was like the size of…a Nalgene bottle? (I brainstormed for awhile for something to compare it to and that’s the best I could do).

photo 4-4

Anyway, we were so enchanted by the humongous turkey leg that we made a trip to the grocery store the next day to find it to make for dinner. We could only find wings. Not as good. The quest to find the same smoked turkey leg here in Northern VA has officially begun.

Alrighty, that’s all I’ve got for now. I hope you’re doing well!

1 Julianna @ Julianna Bananna January 21, 2014 at 9:48 pm

i’ve been dying to go to harry potter world forever! that frozen butterbeer sounds amazing :)

2 Allie January 21, 2014 at 10:05 pm

I hope you get to go soon! The butterbeer tasted extra good because it was so hot and humid that day. Even though Hogwarts looked snowy :)

3 Andrea January 22, 2014 at 10:31 am

The renaissance festival has some pretty delicious turkey legs as well! But thats only seasonal so…

4 Allie January 23, 2014 at 6:46 am

Ohhh yeah I recall them serving them. I went about 20 years ago (whoa feeling old moment right there). We found some in an international grocery store nearby actually. Almost the same…almost.

5 Gracie (Complicated Day) January 22, 2014 at 11:50 pm

So, sort of off topic, but I love to buy turkey legs and cook them. They are crazy good and one of the cheapest meats! I usually do them in the Crock pot until almost done, then stick them under the broiler to get a nice crispy outside.

6 Allie January 23, 2014 at 6:45 am

Hi Gracie! Totally not off topic at all. Now, have you tried smoked turkey legs because they are completely different in terms of taste and texture, in my opinion. I love legs in general (Mmmm dark meat!), especially with a little crisp, but you MUST try them smoked. If you ever find yourself at an amusement park that has them please promise me you’ll get one! And 10 more to ship to me :)

7 Kirsten @ Fit + Fab March 5, 2014 at 7:23 pm

I really must visit Hogwarts at Universal some time. It looks like a blast!

8 Christine May 12, 2014 at 7:42 am

Are you officially gone? Let us know, because we (I) will stop checking!

9 Allie May 14, 2014 at 8:48 pm

Hi Christine! I do plan on returning at some point because I miss blogging. My days are absolutely jam packed right now, but things should be calming down in the near future. I am also running the Chicago Marathon this October, and I definitely want to blog about that. I know checking takes time, so if you like the page on FB or follow me on twitter, I will definitely post there when a new blog post is up! Thanks for your loyalty!! I miss the blogworld!